New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

I decided to build stands for my aquariums! check it out! :)

Started by Ruber, July 20, 2014, 11:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruber

Hi there,  

I have a couple aquariums setup and ran out of room in my basement,   So decided to buy some lumber and give it a go.

Went out to Home Depot and picked up a couple things.  

24 X 2x4's  
2 sheets of Plywood ½ inch X 4 X 8
3 x 1X2 (Cut in half )
And a cheap plywood sheet for the inserts
6 Magnet cabinet that hold the 3 fake faceplates , they actually come off for storage.
1 X 250 #8 2½ screws
1X 100  #2 for got size but its for the panels
1X 100 #8 1 inch screws

Let me know what you guys think.   I worked on it 2 days in a row.     Got the frame idea from DIY's with no measurements and innovated on the storage face plates to minimize on the cost of Hinges and so on.

This is in 3 sections + corner
1 X 4 feet long , 28 feet high , 24 feet wide
2 X 3½ feet long , 28 feet high , 24 feet wide
Corner was the easy part.
3 front panels are attached with magnets and you can remove them all for storage   Used this way in case one day I want to add more aquariums underneath .

BEFORE

AFTER in progress

Getting there!

I'll add more pics or help out anyone who wants more details on how I build them!

Mark

Looking solid 8)

Can't wait to see the finished project, as I am thinking of going the same route.

Thanks for sharing.
Well and truly hooked.

Mike L

Looks good. I'm jealous and wondering what will be on the stands. Maybe I missed a thread.
Regards Mike

Ruber

One one of the 3½ foot is a 10G ( For fry's )  and 2 X fluvals EBI/flora for shrimps

On the second 3½ is a 46G tank

And on the 4 foot is a 50 Gallon 4 foot long tank.    I left room on the bottom of the stands that I can use for storage but also to add 10G tanks if needed for shrimps or quarantine, I have 2 more here.

Also the way the stands are made I can add a extra 3½ or 4 foot on the end if everything works out well.

The only thing stopping me from moving foward is I am now is thinking of going the miracle grow way on the 50G,   drift wood is now soaking,   getting everything ready for the change.   I need to empty my 46G and transfer everything over

Reading everything I can,  I don't want to buy 200$ of substrate for plants for the new 50G tank,   So Miracle grow organic seems more logical money wise.  1½ inch of miracle grow organic on the bottom with 2 Inch of gravel on top of it.    Wait and see if everything is ok for a couple weeks,  I will be using a 60G filter that is already established and a sponge filter with a power head.    So Ill get the sponge filter in my main tank that has been running for around 6 months for around 2 weeks just to help a bit.  Bought a fluval 205 used that has been running in my main tank for around a week now,  Its only for a 40G and its a 46G  so i'll be adding a sponge filter with a power head for a little more until I can get a HOB filter to add with the canister.

I added a picture with the small tanks and 50G tank,   Still need to get rid of the couch lol   and install the light fixtures and move over the 46G to its place.

I am new to aquariums ( for around a year now )    But when I get into something its go Big! :) So keep that in mind,   I do read the forums every day and I am learning a lot.

Regards,
Ruber

fischkopp

Nice setup! But why do you want to loose the couch. Just turn it around a bit and it makes a great spot to watch the tanks!

One year in the hobby, eh. Next thing you will try to figure out is how to add another row of tanks above the existing ones.  ;D
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Ruber

:P  I know right!    I was thinking about it actually lol     

Ya for the couch my PC room is behind it,   but I mite be able to work something out actually :)

guck

Ruber

Updated pics

Water is still a little cloudy but I just re-added the water

getting there!