New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

cloram-x

Started by Mike L, July 26, 2014, 12:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike L

Ok so just got the product and am a little confused about how much to use. I've been on this site but don't find it much help as it uses weight as a measurement.  Goggling tells me that a gram equals 4 teaspoons  so based on what the site says a little less then a teaspoon should treat 25 gallons of tap water assuming it has 1ppm or less of ammonia. What dose does everyone using it dose, say to treat 25 gallons of tap water
http://www.reedmariculture.com/product_cloram_x.php

Pyrrolin

Never heard of that product.  Most people use either API or Seachem.

FishBuddy

Quote from: Mike L on July 26, 2014, 12:42:32 PM
Ok so just got the product and am a little confused about how much to use. I've been on this site but don't find it much help as it uses weight as a measurement.  Goggling tells me that a gram equals 4 teaspoons  so based on what the site says a little less then a teaspoon should treat 25 gallons of tap water assuming it has 1ppm or less of ammonia. What dose does everyone using it dose, say to treat 25 gallons of tap water
http://www.reedmariculture.com/product_cloram_x.php

To treat 25G of water, I'll give it about 1/4 of a teaspoon.  It doesn't take a lot of Cloramx to treat a large amount of water.  Also, no harm in over dosing it either...

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

lucius

Quote from: Mike L on July 26, 2014, 12:42:32 PM
Goggling tells me that a gram equals 4 teaspoons

This is wrong.  I measured it and three grams is about 1/2 a teaspoon.

Mike L

So you measured it using  your scale then. I don't have one so thanks. So 1/2 teaspoon for 25 gallons it is.

The cloram- x is new to me as well but is cheaper then prime.  For $13 dollars I got 2lbs of cloram-x which will allow me to change 40% of the water weekly in in my 4 Tanganyikan tanks for just over 2 years.
Further research revealed to me that Seachem has a powder form of prime called Safe and it is even more economical then cloram- x. I will likely go that root in future.
regards Mike

lucius

Quote from: Mike L on July 27, 2014, 11:48:36 AM
So you measured it using  your scale then. I don't have one so thanks. So 1/2 teaspoon for 25 gallons it is.

The cloram- x is new to me as well but is cheaper then prime.  For $13 dollars I got 2lbs of cloram-x which will allow me to change 40% of the water weekly in in my 4 Tanganyikan tanks for just over 2 years.
Further research revealed to me that Seachem has a powder form of prime called Safe and it is even more economical then cloram- x. I will likely go that root in future.
regards Mike

I was looking at Seachem Safe as well but not much club members have talked about so I decided to try CloramX for now.  We can discuss further in two years.  ;)

Shawn84

Cloram-x and safe are 2 product that does the same things. If your thinking of price value safe is more expensive. Here is the cost base of kensfish.com

Cloram-x  10lbs                      $65
Safe.        4kilo (8.81lbs)         $76.95 this is the sale price he have right now

So cost wise cloram-x still cheaper and more economical way to go. Booth does the same job just different brand.

On a side note since it is in powder form careful not to overdose. Even though u can overdose x amount of time over but it will cause a depletion of oxygen in your tank. So if overdose too much watch your tank careful for the next 24hrs

Shawn
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

Mike L

Thanks Shawn for the oxygen insight. I will pay close attention. As for the cost benefits. Not quite right. Safe can treat 75 gallons with a 1/4 teaspoon. Cloram-x 1/2 teaspoon for 25 gallon. Go on the seachem site for dosing. It also neutralizes nitrites and nitrates Cloram- x does not although if your filtering properly and doing water changes that should not be an issue.

bergenm

Safe is far more cost effective than Cloram-X (I use both).

I would use Safe all the way around, I just don't have a small enough measuring spoon...
Michael

limmer

Seems to be some difference in measurements but I heard you can overdose and it is okay.
I was using 1/4 tsp of Cloram-X for 10 gal of water.

I just switched to Safe and this is what I use.
Teaspoon   Measuring Spoon      Wgt              Treats   
1   Tsp      16 Pinches           5300 mg           220 Gal   
1/2 Tsp       8 Pinches           2650 mg           110 Gal   
1/4 Tsp       4 Pinches           1325 mg            55 Gal   
1/8 Tsp       2 Pinches (1 Dash)    662.5 mg   27.5 Gal   
1/16 Tsp     1 Pinch             331.25 mg          13.75 Gal   
1/32 Tsp     1 Smidgen          165.5 mg            6.87 Gal   
1/64 Tsp     1 Nip                  82.75 mg            3.44 Gal

I found measuring spoons right down to a smidgen and a nip.
Don't know how valid it is but it works for me.

charlie

Sometime ago I had sent an email to reedmariculture regarding the very question of dosing Chloram X
City water out of the Brittiana plant, has a total chlorine/chloramine of 1.9 mg/l
Here is his reply
Hello Errol,

Dosing is easiest if you can weigh small amounts (say 1 gm) of ClorAm-X. Most hobbyists are not equipped to do this, so I will tell you another easier way to do the dosing.

According to the manufacturer, it takes about 16 mg of ClorAm-X to remove 1 mg of chlorine or 3.2 mg chloramines.

The scoop that you should have received in your ClorAm-X holds (level measure) about 28.4 g ClorAm-X. This is enough to treat about 3,000 L of your city water! So, for example, if you only need to treat 30 L (1/100 of 3000), the easiest way to do this is to dissolve the scoopful of ClorAm-X in 1 L of water, and dose your 30 L of water with 10 mL (1/100 of 1 L) of this ClorAm-X solution.

Keep in mind that the chlorine content of city water can change at any time. You should always test before you dose ClorAm-X, and it is a good idea to test after dosing too.

I hope this is helpful.

Eric C. Henry, Ph.D.
Research Scientist, Process Engineer
Reed Mariculture Inc.
www.reedmariculture.com
408-426-5456

Mike L

Hello all
I sent something to them as well a couple of days ago. I also asked about oxygen depletion.
Here is the reply.

You can easily measure accurately small amounts of ClorAm-X by dissolving a large amount that you can measure accurately in a volume of water, and dose with small volumes of water, which you can measure accurately.

A level teaspoon of ClorAm-X is about 5 gm, and the scoop that comes with ClorAm-X holds about 28 gm (level measure). So if you dissolve 10 gm in one liter, one mL contains 10 milligrams (mg)!

The dosing required of course depends on the chloramine concentration. The manufacturer's rule-of-thumb for treating tap water is 32 mg/L. They say: "No greater dose is needed for removing most chloramines or all chlorine from public water supplies. For those water supplies with higher amounts of ammonia, use two doses to detoxify/remove all ammonia present." So it seems a double dose should present no risk.

If you aerate with a good stream of fine bubbles for a couple of hours before using the water, oxygen should be OK in any case.

Eric C. Henry, Ph.D.
Reed Mariculture Inc.
www.reedmariculture.com
408-426-5456

charlie

Quote from: charlie on July 30, 2014, 05:45:56 PM
Sometime ago I had sent an email to reedmariculture regarding the very question of dosing Chloram X
City water out of the Brittiana plant, has a total chlorine/chloramine of 1.9 mg/l
Here is his reply
QuoteHello Errol,

Dosing is easiest if you can weigh small amounts (say 1 gm) of ClorAm-X. Most hobbyists are not equipped to do this, so I will tell you another easier way to do the dosing.

According to the manufacturer, it takes about 16 mg of ClorAm-X to remove 1 mg of chlorine or 3.2 mg chloramines.

The scoop that you should have received in your ClorAm-X holds (level measure) about 28.4 g ClorAm-X. This is enough to treat about 3,000 L of your city water! So, for example, if you only need to treat 30 L (1/100 of 3000), the easiest way to do this is to dissolve the scoopful of ClorAm-X in 1 L of water, and dose your 30 L of water with 10 mL (1/100 of 1 L) of this ClorAm-X solution.

Keep in mind that the chlorine content of city water can change at any time. You should always test before you dose ClorAm-X, and it is a good idea to test after dosing too.

I hope this is helpful.

Eric C. Henry, Ph.D.
Reed Mariculture Inc.
www.reedmariculture.com
408-426-5456
Based on the above data , I use the following dosing which is a bit under 2 x the recommended above suggestion
56 grms( 6 tablespoons) of Chloram X mixed in 1L of DI water
dosed at 10 ML per 10 gln of water.
No Issues for me.
Regards

angelcraze

Quote from: Shawn84 on July 27, 2014, 02:50:00 PM.

On a side note since it is in powder form careful not to overdose. Even though u can overdose x amount of time over but it will cause a depletion of oxygen in your tank. So if overdose too much watch your tank careful for the next 24hrs

Shawn

Cloram X does not use two ingredients to break down chlorine and chloramine, then bind the ammonia, like other water conditioning products.  It is much safer to overdose, assuming there was enough BB to break it down, and you were not just using it to counter an ammonia spike, which would, imo, be a horrible bandaid solution.
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!