New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Need a hand with filter information.

Started by Ruber, July 26, 2014, 03:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruber

I Recently got a 50G aquarium ( 48 Long / 19 high / 12 wide ) with no filter or heater

Bough a nice Eheim Jager 150W trutemp heater for the 50G

Now for the filters,   I bought a used Fluval 205 canister filter.  

Looking at the 206 online it showed 200L  45G But my 205 shows 200L   40G

Seems I'm not close enough to my 50G,     Can I use the Fluval 205 and add a sponge filter with a power head to compensate for filtration?

I do have a Top fin  75 ( Good for up to 60G ) In my 46G tank,    Could probably switch them around,   Use the topfin for my 50G and use the fluval 205 + sponge filter in the 46G instead.

What do you guy suggest?  I'm getting ready to move my 46G beside my 50G and setup the 50G tonight.

PS: 50G is empty right now, and the 46G is full of fish , plants and shrimp.

Pyrrolin

The filter in the 46 is cycled for that tank already I assume so I wouldn't move it.

If you got the 205 new, just return it, if used, then I would do one of the following

buy a new canister filter of the right size, if budget allows
2nd canister filter to supplement the 205
add an aquaclear 50 or something to go with the 205
adding a sponge filter would do the trick but they don't look good

Now more opinions.  The only HOB filters I would use are aquaclear or the new fluval C series which are basically the same thing.  Any other HOB filters are junk and a waste of money for media that when you replace the media you toss out lots of good bacteria.

I find the most convenient filters are canister filters but they aren't always in the budget.  I personally only have 1 canister filter right now and a whole bunch of aquaclear filters and sponge filters.  I have sponge filters for fishroom tanks and aquaclear filters for smaller display tanks.

Before I moved I had a fishroom but now I am reduced to just 4 tanks 90 gallon down to 2.5 gallon.  The 90 has a rena xp3 and aquaclear 110, the 37 has an aquaclear 50, the 2.5 has an aquaclear20 and the 50 gallon has an ac 70 and ac 30 or 50.

I swear by aquaclear filters.  Every one I own is used and works well

Ruber

Good to know because I ttransferred my 46G to its new home , Now the Fluval 205 stopped working,   I prime it and nothing comes out,   Doesn't seem to have any suction at all on it.   I hear the propeller turning but not working :(

Just my luck.     I will be returning my 8 foot ribbed tube I bought for it and the sponge filter that the plastic tube on it is cracked.     Ill get a new filter instead,   Probably a aquaclear 70.   I'll be able to use the media from my fluval 205 at least since there is bacteria in there already,  it has been running on my 46G for over a week and before that in a other tank for ever.

Just my luck,  everything worked fine and now it died.

Fun time