New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Rena XP3

Started by androo303, July 29, 2014, 09:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

androo303

Hi all,

I know this is discussed as nauseum, but I would like local advice from my fishy friends.

I have RENA XP3 canister filter that has 3 baskets that can be broken into 6 (with inserts). What would be the best DIY setup for this unit? I understand the following:

---
BIO
---
MEDIUM
---
COURSE
---

But what should i be using for each and where can I get it?

Pyrrolin

I have had a rena xp3 for a couple years now and I like it.

At the very bottom I have the sponges that are meant for this filter and am happy with them.  The next two trays are filled with different bio media, a dozen of the star bio media that came with it and then I have a bunch of dollar store pot scrubbers to have even more bio media.  I also have the final recommended polishing filter on the top.

Basically all the media they are supposed to have but without any carbon and I added extra bio media

androo303

I got this unit from a close friend of mine who's mother used it but got out of the hobby so all i have is the intake tube and old hoses, so now I need to purchase filter media and a discharge device (spray bar or simple out).

So as i understand it....

POLISHING FILTER (floss)
-------
BIO MEDIA (biostars, bioballs, ceramic rings, etc.)
-------
COARSE SPONGE

How often are you cleaning this unit out? What are you and aren't you cleaning?

Pyrrolin

I clean mine every few months on average.  I recently moved and replaced my substrate, topsoil and sand and my flow is reduced right now and it needs cleaning after just over a month.

How often depends mostly on the conditions in the tank, number of fish, how much you feed, plant matter and so on.  I think my filter is getting clogged with dead plant matter, some plants melted from the move so lots more plant junk in the tank.

when I had city water, I squeezed out the sponges in 2 or 3 buckets, rinsing first in one bucket with a sponge and then the next and going back to the first bucket with each sponge and ended up with fairly clean sponges and very dirty buckets.  Bio media would just need a quick swish in the water sometimes.  I would thoroughly rinse the polishing pad under running water to clean it really well to reuse it.

The sponges for the xp3 are two 30 ppi and two 45 ppi, coarse and fine

androo303