New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

is there such a thing has too much filters?

Started by Ruber, July 29, 2014, 07:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruber

I setup a soil tank a couple days ago,  and water was brown for a couple days even after a couple partial water change,   I added a couple filter to help out and ended up doing a 90% water change,  Now my water is clear.   

But is there such a thing has too much filtration?

I am running a Fluval 205 ( 40G )    Marineland C220 ( 55G )  and a aquaclear 70 (70G) 
All this on my 50G tank.    Good for 165G total

Its just for now to clear up the water really,   After I am done I am thinking of removing the Fluval 205.  and only keeping the Aquaclear 70 and marineland C220

Would both of those be ok?  Or overkill

guck

I think there are different school of thought on this topic.  Proponents of the Walstad method use minimum filtration.  Emphasis is on optimum water circulation and mechanical filtration only.  Plants do the rest.  That's more or less what I am trying to achieve.  I am sure others qill have different opinion. 

Pyrrolin

I believe in over filtration as in using a larger filter than needed such as if using a 20 gallon, use a filter larger than an ac20 like an ac30 or 50.

If you go way over, you won't gain any benefits and just waste money such as using an ac110 on a 20 gallon.  It would work but pointless.

If you want more water movement, a powerhead would be more practical.

you have enough filtration if the filter is able to keep up with biological filtration and it can keep up with mechanical filtration.  Anything much more over that and you are just wasting money

exv152

The common belief is you can't have too much filtration. The only concern is flow for your plants and fish. I would not personally go over 10x the volume of your tank for flow (per hour). You will only get a certain amount of beneficial bacteria growing in your system, equivalent to the waste produced, and you won't get more BB, but as long as you have enough, it's all good. A lot of planted tank folks use the Eheim 2217 for small tanks like 20 or 30 gallon.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g