New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

ADA 60-P

Started by daworldisblack, August 13, 2014, 12:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daworldisblack

Won this thing at the OVAS Aquamania this year but finally getting round to getting it set up! I wanted to go with an iwagumi layout but figured it'd be kind of a waste if I don't get more plants in haha. Still undecided on flora and fauna but heres the details on equipment:

- ADA 60-p
- ADA Aquasoil with magic dust (Set up by Joseph Uy at his talk)
- Ecoxotic E-60 LED Light Fixture
- Eheim 2213 Classic Filter
- 5lb/10lb Aluminum CO2 Tank
- Dual Stage Stainless Steel Regulator (Thanks Errol)
- Parker-Hannifin Metering Needle Valve
- Burkert Solenoid Valve
- Up-Aqua inline diffuser
- Glass Lilly Pipes from Ebay

Potential Plant Stock/Wishlist:
- HC Cuba
- HG
- Downoi
- Staurogyne Repens
- Ludwigia Sp.
- Ammania sp bonsai
- Blyxia Japonica

First task is hardscape - decided to go with just rocks. I dont have enough Dragon Stone to do a proper scape in this tank but I did have some fossilized rock on hand. I would still have liked one BIG piece and smaller complimentary pieces but I have used what I've got for now: http://imgur.com/a/tHtPS

Thoughts on the hardscape? I want to get that out of the way and then move on to adding more soil at the back.. sloping down from the left back corner a little more then would like to move on the plant acquisition, planting and running it till i get the ammonia leaching business out of the way so I can get livestock in.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

Looks like all the aquascaping tanks are launching about the same time ;), I`m happy ;D
For me I would  tilt the main rock a bit & the other one standing straight next to it.
Take up some of the soil in front & place it behind the rocks where you want to start your high side of the slope. But that`s just me  ;)
Keep the updates coming, I`ll be in front row  :)

exv152

Awesome setup Rah! Congrats on the win. How you liking the new ecoxotic e-series led?

If you decide to go with hydrocotyle tripartite, let me know, I've got tons. ;)

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

fischkopp

Hurry up! My first thought was: you are spending all that money on an ADA tank, and then don't even get a straight one. :P

I think the rock arrangement works for the most part. I am with Errol on straightening the main rock so that they follow the same flow/direction, for the more natural look. You could also try the move the two rocks on the front right far over to the front right side - maybe diagonal - to balance the large rock formation with a smaller one.

Also some rocks barely stick out of the substrate. Chances are that they will disappear once the plants grow in.

Quote from: exv152 on August 13, 2014, 08:57:56 PM

That's a neat plant that you have there! I used to have a dwarf hydrocotyle before, but this variety is much nicer.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

daworldisblack

Quote from: charlie on August 13, 2014, 05:18:41 PM
For me I would  tilt the main rock a bit & the other one standing straight next to it.
Take up some of the soil in front & place it behind the rocks where you want to start your high side of the slope. But that`s just me  ;)

Quote from: fischkopp on August 13, 2014, 11:33:05 PM
I am with Errol on straightening the main rock so that they follow the same flow/direction, for the more natural look. You could also try the move the two rocks on the front right far over to the front right side - maybe diagonal - to balance the large rock formation with a smaller one.

Also some rocks barely stick out of the substrate. Chances are that they will disappear once the plants grow in.

Lol thanks guys! I thought Errol as asking to straighten the one on the right and angle the one on the left. I angled it a little to the left haha. I wanted the peak at the golden ratio point and then to taper it back down towards the left to mirror the taper-off on the right. Oh well its all done and I moved some substrate to the back and added some more to get a slope going. I think it looks good now - will post a pic to update. I think the foot print is too small to have mirror formations although I plan to do that on a future build! I'll be banking the soil up a little at the back right corner to balance it out. The rocks barely sticking out was intentional so that I get the tapered look. Probably going to be some low carpet plant there so its barely visible.

Quote from: exv152 on August 13, 2014, 08:57:56 PM
Awesome setup Rah! Congrats on the win. How you liking the new ecoxotic e-series led?

Thanks Eric! I think I still have some that are good still :) The E-series at first glance is pretty neat - I like the built in timer and ramp up from moonlight to day light at ON time and the reverse at OFF time. It defaults to the moonlight setting outside that period which is cool for: wall socket timer on before ON time > moonlight on by default> ramp up at ON time > Daylight > OFF time > Ramp down to Moonlight > wall socket timer off after an hour or so. I also like the higher PAR value and the wider 120 degrees angle for greater spread. Only time will tell how well it does so I'll keep you posted!

exv152

How does the e-series compared in colour rendition to the finnex ray2, just in terms of visual aesthetic ?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Oooh.. eons better from what I see on just the hardscape. Plus it has RGB LEds that can be tweaked to your liking with individual controls for the red, green,blue and whites.

daworldisblack

Maybe I should try something a little different:

charlie

Taking the rule of thirds to the ultimate level  :P

exv152

I like the three supporting rocks, I would rotate the main rock to see more surface detail. Then add another supporting stone to make it an uneven number of rocks.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on August 19, 2014, 09:04:33 AM
I like the three supporting rocks, I would rotate the main rock to see more surface detail. Then add another supporting stone to make it an uneven number of rocks.
The supporting rock some how does not look natural, it appears like there is a smaller rock perched on top of it.
the fourth rock on the right all by itself - try a 180 deg. rotation so its flowing in the same direction of the main rock & add a 5 th rock if front of the 4 th rock just off centre of the fourth rock  in a flat orientation., would be interesting to see how it looks that way.
As Robert pointed out , to get the  front line is a bit straight, using the excess soil to the right back behind the rock.
Ultimately it`s your opinion that matters ;D
Errol

daworldisblack

Thanks for the input guys!

Quote from: exv152 on August 19, 2014, 09:04:33 AM

Thanks I'll pronate the main rock a little - it does have a nice texture to display. Some tinkering is in order there. As for the number, it was supposed to be an odd-numbered rock pile on the left and a lone rock on the right separated by a lower valley-ish depression. I wish I had smaller rocks for the left rock pile but I don't - maybe I can break a spare rock and see what I can do there.

Quote from: charlie on August 19, 2014, 09:39:55 AM
The supporting rock some how does not look natural, it appears like there is a smaller rock perched on top of it.
the fourth rock on the right all by itself - try a 180 deg. rotation so its flowing in the same direction of the main rock & add a 5 th rock if front of the 4 th rock just off centre of the fourth rock  in a flat orientation., would be interesting to see how it looks that way.
As Robert pointed out , to get the  front line is a bit straight, using the excess soil to the right back behind the rock.
Ultimately it`s your opinion that matters ;D
Errol

Lol haha.. no rocks perched anywhere - the nature of this kind of stone is the crevices in them which are pretty cool lol. I wanted an 'arch' over the lower valley area so the lone rock is positioned that way. I'm thinking it'll make more sense once I plant the low carpet plant there. I'll also need to add more substrate to the left back corner to accentuate the valley.

Jeff1192

I really like what you have done with this second layout. Looks great. The changing depth of the substrate looks good too. Can't wait to see this one filled up and running.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

daworldisblack

Quote from: Jeff1192 on August 19, 2014, 11:38:29 AM
I really like what you have done with this second layout. Looks great. The changing depth of the substrate looks good too. Can't wait to see this one filled up and running.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! Me too!

Pronated the main rock. Hands got a little itchy in the process and got this:

I don't mind it but its a little busy there now. Maybe take the back rock out from the right corner... Like so:

TLe041

Without that stone, you have an even number, so I would put it back.

Also, the three stones on the right are all oriented in the exact same direction. You should change that up a bit.
Tony

exv152

Much better, don't forget it will look different again when the plants grow in. It's probably going to look similar to this but on a reverse side.

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on August 19, 2014, 12:54:13 PM
Much better, don't forget it will look different again when the plants grow in. It's probably going to look similar to this but on a reverse side.

funny you post that picture Eric
I'm trying to copy that scape with my 15 gallon
some more rocks & glosso & I'm set.
back to regular programing  ;D
i like the lay out with all the rocks, except the one in the far right corner look too big

pm

I like the last pic the best.  The only thing I would note is that the lowest stone on the right will disappear when plants are in.

fischkopp

Quote from: pm on August 19, 2014, 04:49:55 PM
I like the last pic the best.  The only thing I would note is that the lowest stone on the right will disappear when plants are in.

Me too!
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

daworldisblack

Ok some updates :) Here's how it looked when it was freshly planted:

I ended up going with L. Arcuata on the back left corner (Thanks Errol for the suggestion), P. Helferi for the left foreground, Dwarf Hairgrass Belem for the left midground, M. Monte Carlo for the 'valley', R. sp. Bonsai for the right corner and S. Repens for the right mid and foreground.

Here's what it looks like 2 and a half weeks later:

Sadly, something happened with the S. Repens - major melt. Looked like some disease or something. I hope they bounce back to the glory in the first pic:

The MonteCarlo was from a Tropica 1-2-Grow pot. Major melting of the emersed growth as well but some new growth coming along:

Surprisingly, after a daily water change in the first week and one every other day in the second, the notorious Ammonia Spike had dissipated. I did have trace Nitrite levels and some nitrate levels but decided to let some shrimp and a snail loose in there to keep the diatom algae at bay and to munch on the dying leaves so that the new growth on the plants could be optimal. Heres an inhabitant in his new home:

The Ecoxotic light has been awesome so far - my L. Arcuata is actually pretty red. You can't really see from this pic but notice the reddish new growth and the general red tint in the first pic.

Heres hoping, that the carpet of Monte Carlo will happen slowly but surely and the S. Repens kicks back with a vengeance!

Album updated for higher res pics: http://imgur.com/a/tHtPS

exv152

Staurogyne is quite the resilient and easy to grow, I'm thinking it's just an acclimation thing. It might lose all its leaves right down to the stem but as long as the stem and roots don't rot, it should bounce back.

Nice job so far!
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Quick Update time - things are looking good so far.

FTS

The Staurogyne Repens Bounced back thankfully and is looking good- letting it grow out a little more before trimming to shape. Also added some Rotala Macandra sp. Japan to break between the greens of the S.Repens and the R.Indica.

Moved the P. Helferi to the back and introduced the Blyxia there - itchy hands syndrome! I dont know if i like it just yet but we'll see - might switch the two up.

Monte Carlo carpet trying its hardest to spread over as well still

charlie

Coming along nicely Rah, can`t wait to see this piece of work when it all grows it.
Errol

lucius

I'm hoping my staurogyne repens will look like yours soon.

pm

Coming along nicely.  I am really interested to see how the Monte Carlo works out.

Peekay

Love the rockwork. Update please!  :)

charlie

Any updates Rah?Been sometime. :D

daworldisblack

A new scape is in the works! Soon as I get started, I'll have some updates ;)