New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tropica plants -1 2 grow

Started by charlie, August 30, 2014, 07:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

I just wanted to share this with fellow plant folks, myself another member recently ordered some Tropica tissue cultured 1 2 grow plants from Angelfins
I was very impressed with the quality and presentation of the product, all details of the plant were clearly visible on the packaging.
The price point is very reasonable in my opinion, considering the amount of plants in one pot & also pest & algae free ,this is definitely the way of the future, I should add there is also a Canadian nursery producing tissue cultured plants ( Aquaflora).
It would be great  if our local LFS can  jump on board with these products, considering the advantages to them, such as space, maintenance requirements.
In the meantime   Menagerie pet store out of Toronto & Angelfins in Guelph are the 2 closest resellers of this produc.,
http://angelfins.ca/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=28247_28287&zenid=c1e20906e621fb71a869cde5942d7f7c
http://www.menageriepetshop.com/aquatic-plants/.
Regards

guck

I am glad you mention this as I was actually looking Angelfins website a few days ago and I was tempted to order something but obviously I did not.  How long did it take for the order to come in? 

charlie

Quote from: guck on August 30, 2014, 09:39:43 AM
I am glad you mention this as I was actually looking Angelfins website a few days ago and I was tempted to order something but obviously I did not.  How long did it take for the order to come in? 
It was shipped via Can. Post xpress post which is a next day guarantee service to Ottawa from Guelph, in our case Can. Post failed to live up to their promise & it arrived 1 day later in excellent condition.
Regards

George2

I have ordered from there as well and have always been very happy with the plants I have received. I love the idea that they are guaranteed not to have any snails, algae, etc. on them. I wish Tropica 1-2-Grow! plants were available in local Ottawa stores.

TLe041

Hopefully the local stores consider carrying these. I'd imagine a display of these small tubs is easier to manage than tanks of plants.

The only issue I can see is that they might not be popular with the casual shopper. These are $8-10 for a relatively small portion of plants. For them, it might be more tempting to buy a sizable Amazon sword for the same price.
Tony

charlie

Quote from: TLe041 on August 30, 2014, 02:11:20 PM
Hopefully the local stores consider carrying these. I'd imagine a display of these small tubs is easier to manage than tanks of plants.

The only issue I can see is that they might not be popular with the casual shopper. These are $8-10 for a relatively small portion of plants. For them, it might be more tempting to buy a sizable Amazon sword for the same price.
While the pot maybe small, I have found the volume of plants is more than a regular pot of plants, this making it competitive, the regular pots will have more established plants but comes with the attached freebies of snails, algae & god knows what pesticide.

George2

Critter Jungle now carries a nice selection of Tropica 1-2-Grow! plants. I picked up some Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo', Rotala macrandra, Proserpinaca palustris 'Cuba' and Glossostigma elatinoides. :)   They're all in excellent condition as well. Some of these plants are tricky to grow but I thought I'd give them a try anyway since they were available to me.

I am not sure what they have left but they are supposed to be getting another shipment of 1-2-Grow! plants in the near future.

pm

Thanks for the info.  I was planning on ordering some but couldn't justify the shipping cost.  Local makes it much easier.

daworldisblack

Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

George2

I'd contact them first to see what they have in stock and when they will get more of them. There were only a few left after I bought 5 of them today.

Got Fish?

Not sureif I can post but we carry them also. Now.  :)

George2

Quote from: Got Fish? on October 26, 2014, 10:34:32 AM
Not sureif I can post but we carry them also. Now.  :)

That is great news! It's nice to know there are now two places in Ottawa that sell it.  :)

charlie

Quote from: George2 on October 26, 2014, 04:16:41 PM
That is great news! It's nice to know there are now two places in Ottawa that sell it.  :)

Indeed it is, just need the local hobbyist to go out & support the efforts by our local LFS.

neon1423

Quote from: TLe041 on August 30, 2014, 02:11:20 PM

Critter Jungle has started carrying these. They are amazing, and the growing medium they use is very easy to wash away before planting.

I was in today and their display of them, while small, seemed to be full.

charlie

I just got some Bonsai & Pogostomon Erectus from Got Fish on the weekend, will soon plant them & share the development here.
I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the Qty of the Bonsai plants in the little tub & the quality is amazing.
Errol

aciport

I'm always interested in hearing stories from the trenches. I'm especially interested in the Pogo Erectus, simply based on the timeline for the plants.

daworldisblack

Quote from: aciport on November 04, 2014, 05:18:30 PM
I'm always interested in hearing stories from the trenches. I'm especially interested in the Pogo Erectus, simply based on the timeline for the plants.

I got a pot too - I think Errol's was in better shape then mine - mine had some browning at the tips and the roots were brownish too - we'll see how it does. Previously used the Monte carlo, Rotala Macrandra Sp. Japan and AR mini. Hardest one to root and propagate so far has been the AR mini. The other two are pretty healthy - just lost the submerged growth and got new growth going on.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

lucius

BA's east has Tropica plants also.

aciport

daworldisblack or charlie,

Any updates on your Pogostemon erectus?

charlie

Quote from: aciport on November 15, 2014, 11:59:50 PM
daworldisblack or charlie,

Any updates on your Pogostemon erectus?
Unfortunately, the Erectus was all mush by the time I got around to planting, I intend to pick up some more from Got Fish this week.
On a brighter note the others are doing great & showing some steady growth ( Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini' & Rotala 'Bonsai' )