New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Angels kissing - update 22 Sep 2014 - Eggs have been laid

Started by guck, September 03, 2014, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guck

Two of my angels were pretty intense tonight.  They were going one after the other and lip locking.  It's seem they decided to monopolize one end of the 75g tank.  They chase other angels (there are 7 total).  Ottos and cories dont' seem to be bothered but I one of the angel dislogding a couple of snails that were on a piece of wood.  I had the angels for about a month.

I read non conclusive information on the net.  From mating to males playing the big guy.

exv152

Locking lips is a show of strength/dominance usually between rival males. Males compete this way for territory and a female. I see this quite often too because I have a 75g also with 7 angels, which is too crowded. Chances are you also have a female in that group that's sexually mature. Do two of your angels also hang out in a corner of the tank, pecking/cleaning a heater, the side of the glass, or a plant leaf? That would be a good indication of spawning behaviour. If not, then the lip locking might just be a sign of territorial dominance.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

guck

The thing is that those two that were locking lips are the ones that chase other angels away. And it's one of those two that kicked out snails of the driftwood.  They are pretty much still protecting the area tonight.

exv152

It could also be breeding behaviour. When ready to spawn angelfish will typically show their tubes at the bottom of their bellies. Are you seeing anything like this on any of your angels ? http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=75528
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

guck

Hey tanks @exv152 for the link.  Both my wife and I looked at it, but we can't seem to see anything like on the picture.  I don't know anymore, but both fishes are still pretty territorial.  They still protect the area, it's the 3rd day they do that.

I will keep monitoring I guess :).

guck

It's time to close the loop about the kissing mystery :)

sas

Congrats on the spawn. :)
Exciting times. You'll have to set up a growout tank for the fry if the parents don't
snack on them first.
Great looking Angels, they are obviously very  healthy and content in order to
breed for you.
Nothing cuter than angel fry.
Congrats again.

Shawn84

Congrats on the spawn. Just a quick question are these platinum angel you pick up from the giant auction?

Shawn
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

guck

Thanks sas & shawn.
I stopped by LFS after work and bought a small 15g and improvised a stand.  I have enough plants in other tanks to populate that one.  So I shall see.  Eggs are still there after 24h. :)

@shawn
It's 4 platinum bought at La Niche.  Apparently they were from a customer.  They exploded in size since I acquired them.

exv152

So the aggression/kissing turned out to be breeding behaviour afterall.

Congratulations! Hope it all works out.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Shawn84

Those were mind angel that was sold at the auction. I recognise the angel with the slight dent on the head.
A bunch a fishes.....

guck

Quote from: Shawn84 on September 24, 2014, 10:36:42 AM
Those were mind angel that was sold at the auction. I recognise the angel with the slight dent on the head.
LOL what did you do to that fish? ;)
Do you still have angels?

fischkopp

It's funny how fish tends to pick the worst spots for spawning - from a human point of view. :)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

guck

Quote from: fischkopp on September 25, 2014, 10:01:30 PM
It's funny how fish tends to pick the worst spots for spawning - from a human point of view. :)
Can't agree more.  There are big anubias' leave, some wood....

In the end, as soon as the eggs started to wiggle, the parents ate them all.   :(

Mike L

Sorry to here they didn't make it but they'll try again.I'm assuming that the other fish are still in the tank. If so I'm thinking it is likely the reason they were eaten. It is also not uncommon with angels first few spawn that this happens. I bred them many years ago and it took 4 tries if I remember before they had success but after that I was feeding fry to my Africans.

guck

I just noticed an L repens leaf covered with wiggling babies.  So they can lay eggs on a rather small small area.  And where the babies are, they have better chance as there is more hiding.  But they are still being eaten.  I am monitoring one baby that escaped and hiding.

Shawn84

The fish grew up that way. If you want to save baby have them spawn on leaf and hatch it in a different. That pair is know to eat all fry. I sold off all my angel during last years auction. Good luck with the spawn.

Shawn
A bunch a fishes.....

guck

Well, the parents had a busy w-end.  Yesterday they were going back and forth and up and down trying to keep a new fry on three L repens leave.
Today they realized.... hey way a minute, why not move the fry on a big A. berteri leaf.  They seem to get a hang of it.  ;D