New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

The time has come to down size

Started by charlie, September 05, 2014, 05:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Just throwing this out there, regrettably after a doctors visit , the inevitable I have been dodging  for a while has arrived- I need to down size my tanks by reducing the #`s, this is no easy task for me.
I will over the next week be making a decision on which tank I will keep running, this means that 2 of my high tech tanks would need to go, at this time I would prefer to see them go as a plug & play , so keep your eyes on the classifieds if you have an interest in a plug & play planted tank.
Regards Errol

daworldisblack

Sorry to hear Errol! That does suck. We'll chat tomorrow!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

exv152

Hope you're not pulling out all together...that would be a shame.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Thanks guys, I`ll be keeping one tank, the task is deciding which one , as I like them all.
Pulling out totally from this hobby is like taking the breath from me.

Jeff1192

Oh no.....that's too bad. Your tanks are truly works of art. Would defintely be a tough decision but if you need opinions I would keep the 75 for sure! Your tanks are all amazing but that one is beyond belief nice.
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

androo303

Errol, not great news at all.. Every time i came over, your tanks just wowed the heck out of me!!!

Sad for you to be losing your babies.

Pyrrolin

Not sure what the reason is exactly.  I am disabled myself and until my recent move, I had over a dozen tanks going in my fishroom.  I don't have the space for a fish room anymore.  I am not able to lug buckets all over the place so I figured out ways to make things like water changes easy.

At the laundry sink in the basement, I put a Y valve on the faucet and ran a hose over to the fish room.  I could change the flow of water from the hose to the sink just by turning nobs on the valve.  I would get the temp right in the sink and just close that valve and open the one to the hose.  I also had a shut off valve on the end of the hose to easily control the flow.

I also used a pump and a long hose to drain tanks easily.

if you are downsizing due to physical limitations, you can find ways around it.

lucius

That's unfortunate Errol.  Maybe you can convert your high tech tanks to low tech instead.

Al

Errol,
They're only plants and fish. I'm sure one tank will continue to soothe the soul however the most important thing is your health and mind. Keep strong and my thoughts are with you as you move forward. Our lives are full of curve balls and we all at some time or other need to learn how to manage them - they can still be hit out of the park.
Al

charlie

@ Jeff1192, Androo303, Lucius, Pyrrolin & Al,
Thanks you all for your kind words, & suggestions.
After meeting with some of the plantaholics   ;)( My support group  ;D), I was convinced that Jeff`s suggestion of keeping the 79 gallon is the clear winner, I should add that was the way I was leaning.
I take solace that one or possibly 2 is better than none.
Errol

lucius

Whatever you decide, let me know if you need help moving some stuff around.  I have one of those four wheel dollies and it's very useful for moving heavy items around.

daworldisblack

Quote from: charlie on September 06, 2014, 04:35:21 PM
..one or possibly 2 is better than none.

There is hope yet for the 25Gal at your's ;) Its where it belongs - Eric and I were discussing how awesome and balanced it was. Hope you keep that too! And yes as Brian mentioned, if you need help, you got it eh!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

sas

Sorry to hear you're having to down size a bit.
Just think though, all your talent and energy will be
concentrated and I'm sure that one tank will be mind blowing!

charlie

Quote from: sas on September 07, 2014, 09:46:00 AM
Sorry to hear you're having to down size a bit.
Just think though, all your talent and energy will be
concentrated and I'm sure that one tank will be mind blowing!
Thanks Sue, yea I think I will enjoy the one tank more......hopefully :)
Errol

fischkopp

Sorry to hear my friend, but your health has to come first. Let me know if you need a hand with anything!
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

ajm1961

Errol, hope you are doing okay. I understand the need to downsize.
Take care of yourself - that's what counts.
I wish you all the best in this difficult period.
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

bitterman

Quote from: ajm1961 on September 17, 2014, 09:53:59 PM
Errol, hope you are doing okay. I understand the need to downsize.
Take care of yourself - that's what counts.
I wish you all the best in this difficult period.

Ditto to that!

Bruce

charlie

Thanks guys, it`s just a small bump in the road of life, the bright side is I still get to enjoy the hobby.
Thanks for your thoughtful words.
Errol

charlie

Quote from: charlie on September 05, 2014, 05:27:36 PM
Just throwing this out there, regrettably after a doctors visit , the inevitable I have been dodging  for a while has arrived- I need to down size my tanks by reducing the #`s, this is no easy task for me.
I will over the next week be making a decision on which tank I will keep running, this means that 2 of my high tech tanks would need to go, at this time I would prefer to see them go as a plug & play , so keep your eyes on the classifieds if you have an interest in a plug & play planted tank.
Regards Errol
After much thought, I will be keeping my 79 Gallon & my cadlight 15 gallon. The Crystal Red shrimp will be moved from the low light perfecto 15 gln to take up residence in the Cadlight frameless - The tetras are gone already making room for the switch.
The 25 gallon starfire tank is sold. The 5.5 gallon low light is closing down + 3 tanks closed down & 2 remains= 79 gallon & 15 gallon frameless starfire tanks.
2 of my dual stage regulators are conditionally sold.
Regards