New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Is anyone interested in seeing Reef builds anymore?

Started by Stussi613, September 15, 2014, 11:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stussi613

I have my build progress well documented, but I haven't posted it on OVAS because nobody seems interested in builds anymore. 

Show of hands, who wants to see some new builds on here?

I'll give you a small sneak peak to get you interested...
I haz reef tanks.

Dxpert

I'm interested. I should do the same thing for my build.

Cheers,
-Mike

gerryo

I'm interested.  This is the first tim that I will be doing a FOWLER and would be interested in other's builds.

gerryo

FocusFin

110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

Philnashbass

50 gal. CADLights cube with 15 gal. CADlights sump:
CADLights PLS 100 skimmer
AI Vega LED with controller
Ocellaris pair in LTA, Sml. Hippo Tang,  Powder Brown Tang, Favia, Gorgonia, Frog Spawn, Rhodactis, Sun Coral, Open Brain, Colt Coral, Plate Coral

220 gal. with 80 gal. sump:
Vortex IN 280 skimmer
8 Bulb Teklight T5's, Reefbrite actinic
Pair Gold Bar Maroon Clowns (extra lrg. female), Hippo Tang, Lrg. Pink Tail Trigger, Blue Face Angel,  Kole Tang, Humu Humu Trigger,  2 Yellow Tangs...3 RBTA's, Hammer Coral, Torch Coral, Frog Spawn, Leather Coral

Mike L

I'm not even a salty and I'm interested Stuart.
Regards Mike

Jeff1192

Absolutely, love watching other tanks coming together.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

guck

Stussi613

Okay, here is chapter 1.

First off, if you don't like narratives and lots of pictures then I don't think this post is going to be for you.  If you stick in until the end I would love to hear your thoughts, your feedback, advice and criticisms.  I tried to make this the best tank I've ever seen...but I'm relatively new to saltwater (only 1 year with a few small tanks) and if you think I could have done it better than I did, I sincerely want to know about it. 

This build took me nearly 9 months to complete to this point and this first post is a synopsis of all that work. 

It took me that long partly because I don't move very fast, and partly because I nearly scrapped the whole project a great many times as I was going through it.  I can't tell you how many times I wished I had just sold the tank and bought a 90G Starfire tank and been done with it in a few weeks.  But I'm glad I stuck with it because when my vision was finally solidified a few weeks ago it was better than I could have imagined.

The story of this tank starts nearly 5 years ago.  At the time I had a 60g short tank with cichlids in it.  I went to buy some valisineria plants from a person in my local fish club and she had this amazing planted tank with discus in it.  My wife and I were enthralled with the tank, and the stand and everything about it.  We told her if she was ever going to sell it to let us know.  Fate, as it turns out, favoured us.  About 6 months later she got pregnant and decided to downsize to an Iwagumi style rimless tank and called us to see if we were still interested in the tank.  We promptly made a deal and went to get it. 

It was a Miracles tank with Starfire front glass that started life as a reef tank, but she converted it to freshwater.  I tried to mimic the style she had with driftwood and plants, but I never quite got the tank to take off.  I was running 2 canister filters being fed through bulkheads in the bottom of the tank and the head pressure was just a bit too much, even for big filters.  The tank worked okay for a few years, but it always had problems with algae, or dying fish...or something else. 

I was never quite satisfied with it and when I took it down it looked like this:

I decided at that point to convert it to a cichlid tank.  I capped all the bulkheads, bought some aragonite and few hundred pounds of lace rock and got to building.  This always takes forever in my world because I work and have kids in sports and don't like to rush.  Going over the back with the filters made the tank work much better, and everything started off great.  Then I realized how hard it is to get good quality haps and peacocks where I live and how truly evil African Cichlids can be.  I had a few fish take over the tank, and other fish breeding and couldn't find stock and I felt like I had done it all for nothing.

I was never quite satisfied with it and when I took it down it looked like this:

Around that time I had started an 8 gallon all-in-one CADLights tank as a mini reef.  Everyone told me learning about reef keeping on a nano tank could be hard since things can go bad fast, but I was up for the challenge. 
That little tank thrived and I fell in love. 

Big time.

I started the little tank in May and by August I put all the fish and gear from the cichlid tank up for sale to get it empty and start building my dream reef.
This is what it looked like the day I ripped it apart to rebuild. 

The stand was a square steel one covered in melamine that I got with the tank and the lights were an 8 bulb T8 job that also came with the tank.  I knew they were both going to go, so I sold the lights and used the stand a work bench until I was ready to build the new stand out of 2x4's.
I started my whole build thinking about my lights.  I had 2 braces on the tank and it's 6 feet long so I Knew I was going to either have to go with 3 LED's, or change the tank.  I started looking at spread patterns of lights and coverage areas and settled on either Radion Pro's or GHL Mitras. At the time the Mitra's were on sale and two of them would cost less than 3 of the Radions so I went with them.

Of course that meant I would have problems from my center braces if I didn't remove them so that was step one.  I got a hack saw blade and carefully cut into the plastic, then removed the top brace.  Let's just say I wouldn't want to do it again.  It's not hard, just tedious and when you have starfire glass any little touch of the blade will scratch your glass.

Once that was done I decided to re-seal the whole tank.  The original silicone was clear and had a bit of algae behind it from careless scraping and it was in relatively crappy condition.  I very carefully removed all the interior silicone without going through the seams between the panels.  Once that was done I taped up my lines and re-sealed with GE SCS1200 black.  I've seen many, many new tanks with black silicone and I love it.  It's so clean and you don't really lose much viewing space - you certainly don't gain anything using clear over black and you'll never see algae building up on it.

This tank had quite a few holes drilled into it.  There were two 3/4" bulkheads in each corner, and one 3/4" plus a 1" in the center of the tank.  I decided to go with rectangular corner overflow boxes, but really wanted 1" overflows on the tank.  My return pump is a DC2640 so I had no concerns with 3/4" returns.  But I wanted at least 1" overflows based on calculators online for the volume of water, overflow box size and flow rates I was hoping for.  Problem is, the holes were drilled for schedule 80 bulkheads at 3/4".  David has a really good set of bits, so we built up some tape and proceeded to drill two of the holes bigger to accommodate the overflows.  Worked like a charm, likely because the glass on the bottom of this tank is 1" thick.

With that done I ordered my acrylic for my overflow boxes from a local supplier, cut to size.  I then got a buddy with a CNC machine at his work to cut the gates in the top of the acrylic for me, which worked out relatively well, but if I did it again, I would cut the panels short and then use those pre-made combs you can get to attach to the top because it was allot of work.  He was trying to perfect the method for doing it, so I guess it was worth it.

I mocked them in, then put them in with GE SCS1200.  I know that silicone doesn't really bond acrylic to glass that well, but be patient because it won't matter soon enough :)

I haz reef tanks.

Stussi613

Chapter 2

Oh yeah, before everything got sealed into place I did a light test to see how the coverage would be. 
Looking pretty good.

At this point I decided to pick up some stuff I was going to need for the build.

Reactors:

Vertex 100GPD RO/DI:

Sump, DC Return pump and Skimmer:

Jebao WP-25's:

The time had come to start working on my background.  I had decided, in the beginning, to cover my overflow boxes with a spray foam background.  when I started looking at it though, I realized it would probably look good if I did the whole background with spray foam.  So I mocked up the egg crate for the panels.

Then started to work on the overflow panels outside the tank.

I haz reef tanks.

Stussi613

Chapter 3

Then we flipped the tank over to work on the big panels inside the tank.  And promptly found the inspection sticker from 2004.  I doubt I would have ever seen this before as the tank was sitting on a stand covered in Melamine that you couldn't really see through.

Then the work on the background started in earnest.  I used the Great Plains black pond foam since it's UV resistant and comes in pretty big cans.  I stopped counting after about 8 cans of it :D

As you can see, pliers can be used to space rocks on top of all their other uses.

After I don't know how many bottles of hobby epoxy and how many pounds of aragonite and nobody knows how many times of laying the tank on its back, then standing it upright, then tipping it over, then putting it back...the background was almost done.

Except for a few veritcal lines on the edges of the overflow boxes, which I patched with a good amount of epoxy and sand.

Once that was done I started in on my rock hardscape.  After about a week of placing rocks, changing them out, busting them up, smashing them, sculpting them...and general stone masonry...I was happy.  Everything got epoxied together and the new stand was built.

I haz reef tanks.

Stussi613

Chapter 4

That sump is 48"W x 20"D x 15"H and I was worried about putting it directly on the bottom of the stand without any kind of foam, but my space was super tight under there so I picked up some of this tool chest liner from Lowe's to put under it.

I'd like to eventually have a visible refugium with sea-horses next to this tank, but in the meantime I needed a place to keep some live rock rubble, chaeto and ulva once I started the system.  The sump is plenty big, so I made a small refugium in there by adding some glass and a comb that overflows into the baffles.

At this point I did some odds and ends like beefing up the stand with supports in the corners and making sure it was rock steady.  I'm sure some of you are thinking "wait a minute donkey, you took the top brace on this tank...you'd have to be an idiot to fill that sucker up without it"!

And you'd be right, I didn't get any pictures...but I Eurobraced the tank with 3" strips of the same 3/8" glass the tank is made from, which I came up with using 3-4 different online calculators and asking a few tank builders.

I started filling up with tap water to let the marco rock, background and everything soak and leach out any badness.  Then I emptied it and did it again and ran the tank for a few days with tap water in it.

I decided to go with Durso overflows on this system.

And I spent no less than 3 days fooling around with them trying to quiet them down.  Still not 100% there, but much better.

I finally started making RO water and mixing salt (in the tank since you only get the pleasure of doing it once!!).

And tested the lights out with water and background and rocks in.
I haz reef tanks.

Stussi613

Chapter 5

At this point I had a friend who keeps reef tanks and is an amazing cabinet builder come over and measure to make my stand.  There was a bit of lead time ahead of me, and I have Bengal cats that love water, so I needed to come up with a way to keep them out of the sump.  I knew this because I had caught them in the sump 3-4 times when the tank was full of tap water.  It was pretty late at night, and I may have had a few old fashioned's.  Or should I say a few too many old fashioned's.

Either way, I came up with what I think is the best ghetto skin in history.

Yes friends, that is cardboard and Duck tape skinning my stand.

And just to prove it was necessary, the smallest and baddest of my two bengal cats tried to find a way in minutes after I finished putting it on.

My cabinet guy finished the stand a week later.  What I told him I wanted was for the tank to look like a built in at the end of our open concept living room/dining room area.  I needed a way to hang my lights and I didn't want to see wires from the ceiling, or any kind of equipment.  Some bookshelves on the right side would be nice.  Maybe a corner style cabinet on the left.  He took those loose ideas and then blew us away when he was finished installing.  I'll let the pics speak for themselves here.

The lights are suspended from a transom that holds the two sides together and holds the upper doors on using strips of wood cut on a 45 inside the upper doors and the opposite 45 on the transom.

And this is what the tank looks like with the lights hung and turned on.

I've already started stocking the tank, more details on that and all the equipment in later threads.
I haz reef tanks.

Stussi613

This is a pretty good view of what the tank looks like when you walk in the front door of the house.  I was going for "big impact".

I haz reef tanks.

Lehner

that is sic! great job buddy. just fill that with sps now:)

Stussi613

Quote from: Lehner on September 17, 2014, 12:12:16 AM
that is sic! great job buddy. just fill that with sps now:)

I'm not quite ready for SPS yet, should have my doser online this week and then I'll start over with SPS.  Focusing on LPS for the time being.

I have some more pictures that I'll update soon, but you'll probably see it in person before I get the updates done.
I haz reef tanks.

SlyAngel

Wow that looks great Stuart, you did a great job!........but I think I will pass on Salut Water  ;) lots of work.
I share two angel fish tanks - both of which my hubby takes care of! What's not to like?

ajm1961

Love the rock work!
Thanks for contributing your thoughts and efforts with the club with this post. OVAS should be first and foremost sharing individual experience, insight and passion in the hobby - and you have done that with spades!

Keep us posted on your progress.
Cheers.
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

Jeff1192

Wow that's amazing. The do it yourself background looks like it was a ton of work but the final product is beyond worth it. Great tank!
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

charlie

Simply amazing, my friend you have outdone any other build I have seen on OVAS - congrats!
Errol

daworldisblack

That was an amazing series of posts! *Drools* Really nicely done man!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Mike L

That is incredible. Do you have a rough idea of your hours spent. Can't wait to see the tank when finished and running to your satisfaction. One more thing. Evil cichlids.....haha.
Regards Mike

Stussi613

Quote from: charlie on September 17, 2014, 08:25:11 AM
Simply amazing, my friend you have outdone any other build I have seen on OVAS - congrats!
Errol

Thanks buddy, that's a big compliment coming from you :)
I haz reef tanks.

Stussi613

I haz reef tanks.

Stussi613

Quote from: Mike L on September 17, 2014, 10:12:42 AM
Do you have a rough idea of your hours spent.

I would say hundreds, all told the background alone was 50+ hours, but it was spread out over a few months.

One thing I should say here, I wouldn't have been able to do this tank without David from Got Fish.  I can't tell you how many times we lifted that tank from its back to upright, then onto to its back again on just the background section...much less drilling holes bigger, plumbing, stand building, euro bracing.  So many things.
I haz reef tanks.

guck

Wow, I don't know if I will have the guts to post any picture ever again.  The bar is rather high.  There are no words to describe what you have accomplished.

FocusFin

This is Rain Man level of detail.

I'm an excellent driver lol

Awesome job!

110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

fischkopp

Looking good! One can see that a lot of dedication went into the project. It will be a joy to see this tank mature. Thanks for sharing!
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Parisiot

Looks amazing! Got me dreaming up my next build. Fan of the white. Not going to be for a while unfortunately...
Keep posting the progress!

Graham

I can't believe I only just looked at this now! Everything looks amazing and very high quality. Excellent job Stuart! I hope some day I'll be able to pull something off as good as this!

Stussi613

Thanks for all your comments and compliments!  And sorry for the lack of updates...

Here's a couple of progress shots from today, it's really starting to colour up and take on some life...so to speak.

From the side a bit closer.

This bubble coral is always hungry, that snail better watch out!

I'll post some pictures of the equipment and put up a current fish list if people are interested in seeing more.
I haz reef tanks.

ajm1961

Very nice Stu!
Love the background and layout!

Thanks for the updates - look forward to seeing more.
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

bitterman

k1ng

That is insane from when I last saw it picking up the labs.
Nice job man, keep it up!

Stussi613

Quote from: k1ng on November 29, 2014, 03:03:03 PM
That is insane from when I last saw it picking up the labs.
Nice job man, keep it up!

Thanks bud!   You still keeping cichlids?
I haz reef tanks.

sas

k1ng

Ya I still have the breeding group and they are doing fantastic. No loses and they're breeding like crazy.

Thanks for the high quality fish!

Stussi613

Okay, I haven't really done an equipment show and tell yet.  So here goes a quick view "under the hood", so to speak.

This is inside the lower side cabinet, to the right side of the tank in the picture above.

You can see the Apex controller and EB8 power bar mounted on the back wall of the top shelf, and then my Fauna Marin 3 pump dosing pump on the shelf in front of it.  Below that are my Vertex dosing vessels with CA, ALK and MG in them, as well as my skimmer juice jug.  I keep my skimmer juice in the summer and dilute it with tap water, then use it to fortify the plants in my front flower garden.

This is the bottom right part of my sump.  The measurement of the sump is 48Lx18Dx15H and it holds about 50G at the water level it sits at.

The water enters from the corner overflows through 1" PVC and goes into the first chamber on the right where I have my heaters, some Cermedia MarinePure Ceramic High Performance media and a mesh bag with some Fauna Marin Ultra Phosphate remover.  I've been running the Ultra Phos instead of GFO because I used Marco Rock to do my rockscape and that stuff is known to leech phosphates for a while.  From there it spills over into two 4" filter socks and enters the middle chamber.  I have my Bubble Magus Curve 7 skimmer in that chamber, as well as a CadLights nano Biopellet reactor that has carbon in it and feeds my refugium.

The Fuge has marco rock rubble, Cheato and Halimeda in it. I routinely add pods to the system, turning the pump off for a few hours to let them get settled in the rubble and algae before starting the pump again.  The whole thing is lit on an off cycle to the ank lights with a 50W Daylight bulb with a clip on reflector from Walmart.  I have to trim the cheato all the time, so I know it's a good spectrum.

The furthest chamber has my return pump, a Speedwave DC1000 rated at 2460GPH.  I know it's overkill, but I'm planning to add a supply bar to my return line with a bunch of T's to run some Two Little Fishies Reactors with Carbon and GFO and feed the visible refugium I'm planning to add in the future and I'll need a pretty good amount of power to get all that fed.  Beside that on the left is my budget auto top off reservoir.  I got it at Ikea with a lid for under $10.  It holds about 7G of water and it has a Tunze nano ATO in it.  I am planning a project using some float switches and Toms Aqualifter connectd to the APEX that will email me if the water level goes high, or low, for the future, but the Tunze is working for now.  On the far left are some power bars that have the lights and return pump connected.  I have another EB8 power bar to connect for this side, but I just have to get a long enough cable to hook it up to the controller and none of that stuff really needs to be controlled since the lights and return and power heads have their own controls built in.
I haz reef tanks.

Stussi613

Here's a quick update, the tank will be a year old in May :)

Here's a full tank shot (sort of).

Got a pair of green Mandarins and Starfish from Got Fish?

Here's a quick view of some of my algae eating types going after some Nori.  Magnificent Foxface, Yellow Tangs, Hippo Tang, some green chromis and one of my Blacker Ice clowns who goes to check out all food, LOL.

And last, but not least, my clowns have ignored the Rose Bubble Tip and are now hosted by this Green Star Polyp.
I haz reef tanks.

bitterman

Luke_L

You have done an incredible job, I think I'm going to try something similar with my 120g as soon as I bring it to the house.

Sharbuckle

Stussi613

Quote from: Sharbuckle on September 29, 2015, 12:40:34 AM
Looooooove it! Update?

Well...let's see...I switched the lights and powerheads over to Radion Pros and the Vortech Quiet Drive MP-40's.  I lost a whole bunch of hammers and torches to brown jelly disease.  Then my phosphates went through the roof after about 14 months of the tank being set up (that Marco rock DOES leach phosphates after a year like everyone says it does online, but nobody wants to believe!!).  Got a wicked outbreak of Cyano and this dark, hairy, green algae that none of my tangs or my Magnificent Foxface will eat covering all the rock work...which I tried to get under control by bringing my Rowaphos reactor back online.  Then my nitrates went through the roof for no reason that I can figure out...and I got them under control.  Finally, I pushed up the flow on my Vortechs and added a pair of smaller powerheads into the back area of the tank (Ramblinpony is a lifesaver for making me the holders to hang over the back of the tank!!) and I dropped the lights back down to 35% on a 6 hour day and the algae is finally receding.  All I have left for Coral is some gorgs, mushrooms, zoas and GSP.  The good news is that some of the Gorgs have their polyps extended more now than they did for the last month or two, so I'm thinking the worst is over.

Oh yeah, and my return pump died and I had to replace it...thank god I wasn't at the cottage when it happened!!

So after all that, the short answer is terrible, but I think every new reefer goes through a nightmare stage at some point after the first year.  I think I'm coming out on the winning end, but only time will tell. 
I haz reef tanks.

Sharbuckle