New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Is anyone interested in seeing Reef builds anymore?

Started by Stussi613, September 15, 2014, 11:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitterman

Luke_L

You have done an incredible job, I think I'm going to try something similar with my 120g as soon as I bring it to the house.

Sharbuckle

Stussi613

Quote from: Sharbuckle on September 29, 2015, 12:40:34 AM
Looooooove it! Update?

Well...let's see...I switched the lights and powerheads over to Radion Pros and the Vortech Quiet Drive MP-40's.  I lost a whole bunch of hammers and torches to brown jelly disease.  Then my phosphates went through the roof after about 14 months of the tank being set up (that Marco rock DOES leach phosphates after a year like everyone says it does online, but nobody wants to believe!!).  Got a wicked outbreak of Cyano and this dark, hairy, green algae that none of my tangs or my Magnificent Foxface will eat covering all the rock work...which I tried to get under control by bringing my Rowaphos reactor back online.  Then my nitrates went through the roof for no reason that I can figure out...and I got them under control.  Finally, I pushed up the flow on my Vortechs and added a pair of smaller powerheads into the back area of the tank (Ramblinpony is a lifesaver for making me the holders to hang over the back of the tank!!) and I dropped the lights back down to 35% on a 6 hour day and the algae is finally receding.  All I have left for Coral is some gorgs, mushrooms, zoas and GSP.  The good news is that some of the Gorgs have their polyps extended more now than they did for the last month or two, so I'm thinking the worst is over.

Oh yeah, and my return pump died and I had to replace it...thank god I wasn't at the cottage when it happened!!

So after all that, the short answer is terrible, but I think every new reefer goes through a nightmare stage at some point after the first year.  I think I'm coming out on the winning end, but only time will tell. 
I haz reef tanks.

Sharbuckle