New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Bucket Less Bandwagon

Started by lucius, September 18, 2014, 04:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucius

After hearing how so many others have stopped using buckets for their water changes, I decided to jump on the bucket less bandwagon.  I tried the Python at first but felt it was a waste of water.  Then FishBuddy told me how he uses a water pump for his water changes.  Seemed like it would be ideal but keeping live plants might be an issue since I would need to find a spot inside the tank designated for the pump, even if it was just temporary. 

At first, I tried it out using a Mag 5 pump and it clearly was more effective in removing water.  It took about 23 minutes to drain 30% of the water from my 75 gallon tank.  The Mag 5 is rated at 500 gph but I'm using 50 feet of hosing to go from the tank to the basement sink so that's why it takes longer.  I then filled up a 30 gallon Rubbermaid garbage can of water, placed the pump in there and pumped the water back into the tank after I had added Prime/CloramX and made the temperature equal to the main tank.  I did my water changes this way for a few months and decided to try to improve on this.

As mentioned earlier, the main issue was finding a spot for the pump without damaging my plants.  Started out using a piece of red slate with java moss but I noticed my cherry shrimp liked hanging out there so this location didn't last very long.  I also ended up getting a Mag 9 pump and its much more bigger and heavier than the Mag 5.  I came up with this rack made out of PVC.  The ideal was to hang the pump in the tank so I wouldn't damage any plants and crush any cherry shrimp.

With the Mag 9 (950 gph), I can remove 30% of the water in about 11 minutes  ;D.  At the other end of the 50 foot hose, I have this outtake pipe that empties out into my basement sink.

I have two sets of 50 feet safe drinking hoses.  The other hose is used to fill up a 55 gallon Rubbermaid container while I'm draining the tank.

I use a plastic hand sprayer to aerate the water into the container.  The Hydor pump is in there to help dissipate the Prime/CloramX.  I usually let it run for about 20 minutes.  In the mean time, I scrape the sides of the tank, trim plants, general maintenance.  The thermometer helps me even out the temperature of the water from the sink with the main tank, I usually aim for 30 degrees.  I just gauge it by adjusting the faucet knobs of the sink.  And finally, I use my old Mag 5 to pump the water back into the main tank via the Python hose.  It's the same outtake pipe as previous.  The Python hose works great because it has it's own shut off valve.

And of course, everything is connected via Gardena attachments for quick connects/disconnects.

Only issue right now is that I have to remove the Python hose if I'm not dumping water into the main tank because I have found that it siphons water out when the pump isn't on even if the Python valve is in the closed position.

I can do a basic water change (no filter cleaning) in 30 minutes or so and there's less of a mess too.  8)

Mike L

Just a note. If your setup in the basement as I am I run the python to my floor drain and start the syphon. Then connect the water to supply and go. That will save the wasted water on drain. It takes longer but that time allows you to do other maintenance.
Regards Mike

Stussi613

I used to use a modified email extension attached to my XP4 outlet and just pump the water out of the tank, then refill off the Python.   Now in my saltwater tank I just use a maxijet 900 to mix my saltwater and to pump the water I'm going to change out of my sump.
I haz reef tanks.

lucius

Quote from: Mike L on September 18, 2014, 06:08:52 PM
Just a note. If your setup in the basement as I am I run the python to my floor drain and start the syphon. Then connect the water to supply and go. That will save the wasted water on drain. It takes longer but that time allows you to do other maintenance.
Regards Mike

I never tried this but I would think with my smaller South American tetras and shrimp, they would get sucked out and down the drain quite easily.  :'(

Mike L

Quote from: lucius on September 19, 2014, 09:08:10 AM
I never tried this but I would think with my smaller South American tetras and shrimp, they would get sucked out and down the drain quite easily.  :'(

The flow is quite slow. It takes about 15 minutes to drain 25 gallons from my 75. I have African so it's not a concern however if you put a screen on the end I would think you would have not problem

Al

I use the same method as Mike - and as he said, gives me time to do other tank jobs. I even empty my large 250G and 180G by gravity - takes 15-20 minutes, no big deal. On tanks where I might have small fish, I put a strainer from a maxijet (not the long 1 1/2" one but the smaller rounded bottom one) over the end of my python hose - fits perfectly and does the job of keeping anything small out - if you wanted, I guess you could even put a sponge over it if you were really concerned.

daworldisblack

I just have a tap aerator from the dollar store at the end of my python hose (instead of the supplied tube) and when it drains, it keeps the critters out. When i refill the tank, the aerator acts as a flow disperser. It does take its time draining by gravity though.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

Mike L

Just a thought. If you drain the water into the floor drain in instead of the sink would that speed up the drain time. It won't have to push water up over the tank then again up at the sink. Once it makes it over the tank gravity will really be your friend

lucius

Quote from: Mike L on September 19, 2014, 11:04:13 AM
  Just a thought. If you drain the water into the floor drain in instead of the sink would that speed up the drain time. It won't have to push water up over the tank then again up at the sink. Once it makes it over the tank gravity will really be your friend

I'm going to test this tomorrow on my 90 gallon and will post the results.

lucius

I marked off the side of the tank 3" high with green tape, in three sections.  Each section equated to 12.5% of water.

Test 1 (Top Section) with Python draining into floor drain took 8 min 26 secs.  Since I was watching it the whole time, I didn't stick any media in the gravel cleaner end to keep the smaller fish from being sucked in.

Test 2 (Middle Section)with Mag 9 pump pushing into floor drain took 4 min 12 secs

Test 3 (Bottom Section) with Mag 9 pump pushing into the basement sink took 5 min 21 secs

So draining it to the floor drain is indeed faster.

Something I forgot to include in my original post is the time it took to refill the tank.  I forgot I was timing this and by the time I checked it was at the 19 minute mark so I'm guesstimating 17 to 18 minutes to refill about 40% in a 90 gallon tank.

fischkopp

Way to go! I use floor drain and pump, but mainly because my hose for floor draining is to short at the moment to reach all tanks. :) I am wanting to upgrade to longer 3/4" hoses to speed things up.

If you are worried about stuff getting sucked up: I still use a wider standard gravel vac thingy inside my tank, but put a nylon filter sock over the opening. That way notching gets sucked in. I started doing that when using a pump, since little wood pieces or moss keep clogging up the hose and impeller.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Mike L

Did an actual timed test using siphon method with python. Tank at 3ft head pressure into floor drain 35gallons in  just over 16 minutes. I think I might invest in a pump. Although I use that time to do my 20's as I still use the buckets because of size. Thanks for the info guys.
Mike

lucius

Rather than just letting the water run down the drain, I thought it would be a good ideal to use the tank water to rinse my sponges so I made another piece.  Pressure could be a little higher but it does the job.