New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Not sure where to post this ...

Started by cybercat, September 18, 2014, 08:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cybercat

Hi all

I ended up with this, due to a relationship breakdown - it's 4' x 2' x 18". Boyfriend bailed on house, relationship, etc, and, lucky me, left me this tank, plus all the critters (most of which I actually bought for him, along with much of the tank and components) ... anyway .... I have maintained this thing, without issue, for nearly eight months. The tank is somewhere around 6 years old, we spent months establishing the water, rocks, a few corals, before the fish went in ... I don't remember exactly how old, but it's in that range. I recently remembered we use to belong to OVAS, and both of us, on this board ... and figured someone could give me some direction?

I have no knowledge in the care of a salt h20 tank, or any other tank. I was given a few basic details, had a friend help me, and read online about how to take care of this. I am going to get in trouble with it, if I continue to use, how little I know, to keep it going. Water changes, chem profiles, etc have been done (at least what I could figure out). Nothing is dieing, it's cleaner than it ever was when he was here ... I lost one dragonlet goby that had to be hand-fed but everything else is good.

Includes: Bubble coral, Purple mushroom rocks, Green hairy, mushroom rocks, Toadstool leather, Finger leather, Elephant ear mushroom, Xenia Rocks and Regal tang 6", Pair of occellaris  clowns, Red Headed Wrasse, Adult mono 5", Brown dwarf angel 4", Banded Urchin, Pincushion urchin, Brittle Star and a few snails ...

I don't know what to do, get someone here, and learn more, for a fee, or just let it go, as is. I wouldn't even ask money for it. I knew, years ago, this stuff was difficult to sell ... but

I don't want it going to some kid who will kill it all, either ... advice appreciated.

tanya

sas

Hi and welcome to the OVAS Forum :).
There are quite a number of knowledgeable members here who run saltwater tanks, and who I'm sure will be delighted to give you a hand.
Your tank looks great even though you mention that you are struggling.
Welcome again!

Got Fish?

I've pmd you about helping you with your tank

cybercat

I think I might be having a problem. I'm losing the arm of what I think is the finger leather coral. Temp is 72 and water flow normal. I'm sitting here with the test kit, Red Sea Pro Test Kit. No instructions in kit, but lots of chemicals, and cards ... anyone want to take pity on me, and walk me through how to use the thing? I just used the hydro meter and it was within range. I don't know what it is, but it was within the acceptable range. I add a couple teaspoons of Reef Advantage Calcium a few times a week, with evaporation water additions, and the actual h20 changes maybe once a month or so ... that's all I'm doing, or know how to do.

tanya

Got Fish?

I was expecting you to come by this week but never. Pm me if you still want my help.

rockgarden

While a temperature of 72F is fine for a FW tank it may be a bit on the cool side for a SW tank.  I normally keep my SW around 78F or  a bit warmer.

Ron

cybercat

@Got fish - work, that's all, three days a week I teach mainly outside. If you want the entire set up, you can have it. You need only contact me. I thought this forum would give me notifications on posts, it didn't, hence the very tardy post back to you ... I DID up the temp of the tank. You can send me a PM if you like, just be aware I am not getting 'notifications'.

Got Fish?

Will do. Thanks for letting me know.