New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Lighting question

Started by Jeff1192, September 23, 2014, 11:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff1192

I'm looking for opinions on lighting levels for my cichlid tank.

I'm used a 4 bulb T5HO fixture over my 90 gallon. Currently I'm only turning on 2 of the bulbs as I don't want an algae outbreak. I'd like to try using an actinic bulb to see how it brings out the blues in my fish. Would I be better adding the actinic as a third bulb or replacing one of the whites and still running just 2? Will an actinic bulb contribute to algae growth or is the spectrum completely wrong? I run the lights for 8hrs a day right now.

Thanks

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

lucius

I picked up the paper version of this at BA's east awhile back and this is what they suggest for lighting on page 4.

http://www.bigalscanada.com/Fishenews2.pdf

Mike L

Hello Jeff
I would use 3. A 10,000 or 18,000 k an actinic then one around 6500k for the plants. Can each light be put on timers. Some LED's will also give you the blues you want for colour enhancement.

Did you get the link I sent you for the flexible led strips. I have seen these in operation on a friends cichlid tank. He uses just the RBG's and a 10,000k flouresent and gets great colour in his Malawian tank.  Buy the time you buy a couple of bulbs that light strip looks mighty economical.
Mike

Pyrrolin

just go with 6500 k bulbs or 6700, depending on the company.  atinic bulbs cause huge algae.

Cichlid tanks usually don't have plants so just enough to view the fish

lucius

Quote from: Pyrrolin on September 25, 2014, 04:45:28 PMCichlid tanks usually don't have plants so just enough to view the fish

If you check out the other thread of the OP, you will see that he has java fern in his tank.

Mike L

Quote from: lucius on September 25, 2014, 05:22:53 PM
If you check out the other thread of the OP, you will see that he has java fern in his tank.

Good point Brian. That's why I suggested what I did. Given that he has Malawian some algae would be desirable as the fish will graze on it. I've been running a marine actinic ,18,000k and a 6500k for well over a year and while there is some algae it is not a nuisance and I rather like the look. I did put  the lights on timers and the actinic only is on between 6-12pm when we are in the family room It all comes down to what is best for you. The fish don't really care

charlie