New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

cyprichromis pictures

Started by Mike L, September 30, 2014, 04:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike L

These are some pictures of my Cyprichromis leptosoma tri-colour Mpimbwe. Last part of the name is the collection location. The same fish can be found in other parts of the lake but will likely have different colouration.

They are mouth brooders that spawn in open water. The male stakes out a 3 dimensional  territory and displays then the female drops the eggs scoots around and catches it dropping while the male releases his milt. They are f-1's  4 females, 8 males in the breeder tank. Males have all the colour with all being iridescent blue  on the bodies with either baby blue or yellow dorsal and caudal fins.

So far 4 spawns over a 5 week period totaling 13 with 7 surviving and eating well. The parents are still young and the spawns  size reflects that however at this point it's continuous with another female holding.

I will try to get a video on you tube soon as watching the continuous courtship is interesting and also because they move so fast it's hard to get good pictures.
Regards Mike

Jeff1192

17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Mike L

Thanks Jeff
It was along time coming. If I can get the Calvus breeding again I'll be content................... for now

fischkopp

Very nice fish. Thanks for sharing! Makes me want to setup an African tank. What size are you using for your group?
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Mike L

It's a 55 gallon. Little tight but so far working fine.
Mike

fischkopp

Thanks for the info. Hmm, I do have a 55 as well that could be changed over. These fish are an option...  ::)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031