New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Eheim filters 'Clattering'

Started by wolfiewill, October 04, 2014, 09:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfiewill

I have had problems with noisy Eheim filters. This seems to happen after a year or so of relatively silent operation, and I've heard and read of others having this problem. So, I contacted Eheim to ask why. Here is there responce:

"In older units (specially the EHEIM classics, the noise levels could be caused by a worn impeller bearing (see attached picture) This is something that could be encountered after 3+ years of use as these unit use carbon bearings. The EHEIM Pro 3's as well as the 2226 and the Classic 1500XL use ceramic bearings and don't run into this issue.

The other part that could create noise will be a loose impeller blade. Please refer to the attached file regarding this issue.

Yours truly,

EHEIM Technical Support Department, EHEIM North America I P 514-624-2229 ext 1 I F 514-624-2227 I "

"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

pm

Thanks for this.  One of mine started making noise out of the blue.  Checked the bearing, and it appears okay.  Never thought to check the "wing" part.  Will do that next time I take it apart.

guck

Thanks for the info, it might comes handy one day.  My Eheims are still young.
Are these spare parts readily available around here?

pm

Not sure if they would be readily available, but I am sure they can be ordered in.

Mike L

I keep 1 set of replacement parts on hand for most of my filters. In fact I have a 25 year old Eheim 2017 (old 2217) that I had purchased 2 sets for some reason early on. This extended the lifespan of the filter as they redesigned the filter. The redesigned parts don't work in the old ones but because I had them it's still running. Although I just put in the last set.
Mike

wolfiewill

Quote from: guck on October 04, 2014, 02:25:18 PM
Are these spare parts readily available around here?

You can order through Big Al's, but reasonable prices and excellent turn around time can be had on-line with Pet's and Ponds (aka Critter Cove). I have just ordered replacement impellers from them, and I have dealt with them many times with great success. Please also note that I deal with Canadian suppliers as much as I can and I have yet to be disappointed. The closer the location of the supplier you, the quicker the stuff arrives. P & P is in Orillia Ontario, so they are very good. J&L are in Burnaby, Angel Fin's in Southern Ontario, and Canadian Reef Aquarium Supplies is in Montreal (really, really fast), and these are the ones I frequent the most. I have nothing but good things to say about these suppliers, so shop around. Also, I've called each of them and talked to a real person before ordering to ensure the stock is shipped from Canada. This is because if they ship from outside Canada there is often pay a duty charge on top of what the supplier charges, which you pay after it arrives in town.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

guck

That's what I thought about ordering online.  In fact I ordered my 2217 from AngelFins along with some plants and I was rather impressed with the service.  I would have bought it in store locally, but it revealed to be rather frustrating. I ordered from P&P too.
I guess I shall stack up some spare parts.