New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Betta Not Eating :(

Started by 101DalmatianMollies, October 10, 2014, 11:35:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

101DalmatianMollies

Hi There!

I acquired a new Betta, Sir William Benjamin the Third, a few weeks ago, and he seemed like a healthy choice. But I have yet to witness him eat anything, and stuff I have fed him is still in the tank.

I've done one gravel siphon since I got him, and there is a lot of uneaten food in there. He is a rather LARGE Betta, I've never had one so big before.

I've tried: Pellets, Blood Worms (frozen), Brine Shrimp (frozen), and Betta Bites Micropellets.

So far nothing. And he had blown a very large bubble nest one day, so I thought he was very happy in his location.

Please help. I don't want him to go much longer without eating. I know they can go a long time without eating, but I don't want to push my limits. He's in a 3ish gallon tank with some rocks, substrate, plastic plant and plastic "hammocks".

Thank you!

P.S. He is my 14th Betta... and the only other time I experienced trouble eating was with Mr. Mister and that was partly due to the fact that his fins were so large for his body he had trouble swimming for the first little while. I had him for 3 years and it was the micropellets that saved his life I think.

Shawn84

Whats the tempt of the bow that the betta is in. If the water is on the colder side most betta will not eat.

A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

George2

Quote from: 101DalmatianMollies on October 10, 2014, 11:35:12 AM

I acquired a new Betta, Sir William Benjamin the Third, a few weeks ago, and he seemed like a healthy choice. But I have yet to witness him eat anything, and stuff I have fed him is still in the tank.

I love the name of your new Betta. LOL!  :)

101DalmatianMollies

Quote from: George2 on October 10, 2014, 11:58:47 AM
I love the name of your new Betta. LOL!  :)

Thank you! He's a crown tail Betta so a royal name only seemed fitting! He comes following a long line of bettas; Horatio, Darwin, Spyke, Mr. Mister, Blackie, Finnegan, Angel I, Angel II, King, Finneaus, Ferb, Spike, Mr. Fish and Meeshu.

I'm not sure what the temp is but it is cool. I've had other bettas in the same area who ate with no issue all year round. I do have a heater I can use if that might help perk him up.

daworldisblack

Also try live foods perhaps? Grindal or white worms? Let me know if you need a culture.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

101DalmatianMollies

Quote from: daworldisblack on October 10, 2014, 11:40:43 PM
Also try live foods perhaps? Grindal or white worms? Let me know if you need a culture.

I'd be happy to try! I really like him as he's the beefiest crown tail I've ever had. I'm unfamiliar with live food so I'd love a tutorial alongside a culture. I'm out of town for the weekend, and won't be back until late Sunday. So the earliest I could meet up is after 6pm Monday (I have to work :( )

daworldisblack

Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!