New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Finnex LED lighting

Started by neon1423, October 16, 2014, 11:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neon1423

Hey all, I was pointed to Finnex led systems by a freind who says they are more powerful then your standard t5-ho systems. Does anyone have any experiance with Finnex systems? I'm looking at upgrading my 30gallon system.

exv152

I don't have any first hand experience with the finnex but I've been following them, and I do use other LED brands.  They have a new product coming out soon with 25% more PAR, set to come out this winter. But the finnex fugeray and planted + have less PAR than the finnex ray2. See the PAR data from the manufacturer in the link below. It's definitely stronger than your average T5HO fixture with 2 bulbs, but not stronger than your average T5HO with 4 bulbs. If you're not using co2 I would consider the planted + , it has a more complete colour spectrum for plants, looks less washed out, and is not as strong as their ray2.  Finnex is still a good buy f or the price, but there are many other brands out there nowadays like BML, kessil, TMC, beamswork, current sat+, ecoxotic  etc.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=189944
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

wrm130

I am currently running  2,3 & 4' finnex ds. I really like them. I also had a bml Dutch and wasn't very happy with it.

androo303

Found these on Amazon.ca 2-3 weeks ago, but now they are no longer selling to Canada..

:'(

daworldisblack

Yeah looks like they pulled out of canada for now due to regulations, according to some folks who were at the last Plantaholics meet-up. Might get a group order happening when they release their new lights towards the end of the year though so we could set a group-order up or something to ship to the border etc.

I personally have the Ray 2 Daylights and they are pretty powerful for a thin strip!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

exv152

The latest news is the new finnex are coming out in the winter, which can be anytime between now and the next 5-6 months. Since they're including a dimmable control, suspension kit, higher PAR, and full colour spectrum, I'm guessing the new price will also be "enhanced".
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Quote from: exv152 on November 07, 2014, 03:26:06 PM
The latest news is the new finnex are coming out in the winter, which can be anytime between now and the next 5-6 months. Since they're including a dimmable control, suspension kit, higher PAR, and full colour spectrum, I'm guessing the new price will also be "enhanced".

Thanks for the extra info! Yep - def going to be an enhanced price. The main draw for Finnex for some was the price - def a bang for the buck sorta deal. With all those add-ons, if its still reasonable I think its an easy sell. Just got to look out for updates as they become available!

Apparently they're looking into shipping with Canada Post - fingers crossed.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

zolta

You can still get Finnex through the amazon.com.  they will ship to Canada however the shipping and duties are about $20 on top of the posted price.
65 gal tall planted

neon1423

So an update, I did end up getting the finnex ray-2 DS system for my tank. It is amazing, I have only the highest reviews to say about it and I highly reccomend it.