New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Classroom Aquarium

Started by missavgp, October 17, 2014, 12:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

missavgp

Hi all. I just wanted to share a great experience I had today going to my son's junior kindergarten classroom and setting up a 20g tank for them. The kids were so excited and kept asking me all kinds of questions about what I was doing and why.  :) It made me really happy to be doing that.
Does anyone have any stocking ideas? I was going to take in one of my bettas, a mustard gas crowntail, and was thinking of getting some guppies as well for something social, with the added bonus of being livebearers so they are interesting to the kids over time with the whole life cycle. Does this sound like a good plan or does anyone else have some suggestions?
Thanks!
Mom of boys. Less drama than girls, but harder to keep alive

charlie

Good on you for doing this.
The live bearer is a good idea with 1 caveat, in that reproduction can get uncontrollable & it`s only a 20 gallon.
Maybe some members can donate fish for this tank.
If there is anything I can do to help , do not hesitate to contact me.
Cheers

missavgp

Thanks Errol.

I know we'll have to watch out for a population explosion with the live bearers. Lol I've had that problem before.  ;D

I forgot to mention as well that I did find out the teacher is a former OVAS member and former cichlid keeper when we were discussing take maintenance. I had been a little concerned about tank care but am not any longer. :) He was one of us!

neon1423

Maybe some danios for a little action and movement. Good luck

wolfiewill

Good on you for doing this! I think it's a great idea. I have some baby Bat Man platys, but Errol is right about a population explosion in a 20g tank. I too would be willing to help out.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

missavgp

Thanks for the support everyone. I took the fish in today, the kids were very excited and are anxious to name their classroom fish. I took in a trio of guppies and a male crowntail betta