New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Finnex new kid on the block

Started by charlie, May 10, 2015, 10:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

I have been following all the hype on the pending Finnex 24/7 LED fixture, well now there is some info out on it,i`m a bit disappointed . The fixture appears to be nothing more than a dressed up Fugeray planted plus with remote control.
I was really hoping for more light intensity, that said it seems decent for a low to moderate planted tank.

Anyone getting it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJsYweqNtig

exv152

Two things about finnex are the fact that they measure PAR in an empty tank, and they use the apogee PAR meter which is not response below 400nm and above 700nm spectrum. That said, they are decent lights for smaller tanks at a good price.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

exv152

The 24/7 also peaks at 60-65 PAR at a height of 16" from the substrate, which some consider high light, I consider that medium light. At 18-20" depth it ranges from about 48-45 micromoles/sec PAR, which is med-low light. The biggest downfall to this fixture is the fact that it doesn't sustain its peak high PAR for long, it ramps up and then down very slowly, so the peak PAR is only produced for a limited time, for about 3.5 hours of the cycle. Really disappointing. The Current USA satellite + PRO, and the ecoxotic are more expensive but at least they produce more PAR. But near the top of the echelon for freshwater LEDs is the BML XB series (not the original series), in particular the 10k planted version which puts out a whopping 155 PAR at 18" depth, or the Dutch planted which puts out 110 PAR at 18" depth.  See chart. But they're more expensive than all the above.

http://www.buildmyled.com/content/PARCharts/PS1290S201BBTBLBBTBBLBTBB.jpg
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

My understanding is that you can override that 24/7 mode by setting it to sunlight or something like that.
I`m still in limbo about trying one on my CAD light 15 gallon , since the surface to substrate is at 12 inches at the lowest point ( front of tank) the rear of the tank is under 10 inches, so i doubt PAR is an issue in this case.

daworldisblack

Quote from: charlie on May 28, 2015, 03:02:53 PM
My understanding is that you can override that 24/7 mode by setting it to sunlight or something like that.
I`m still in limbo about trying one on my CAD light 15 gallon , since the surface to substrate is at 12 inches at the lowest point ( front of tank) the rear of the tank is under 10 inches, so i doubt PAR is an issue in this case.

Yeah for me the thing that sucks is that the programming is not configurable. What they have configured really sucks as far as PAR goes. Switching it to Sunlight or 'All LEDs On' would render the timer component redundant - why pay for it then. With the Ecoxotic, at least you can choose on the timer when you want sunrise and sunset to be and it ramps up and ramps down respectively. Complaint for all these fixtures with timers is that you cannot program in other settings like the Cloudy, Lightning etc. thats available. There are hardware hacks out there but it shouldn't have to be that way. A little freedom in the way of configuration would have been real nice.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!