New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Build your own co2 2 stage regulator

Started by charlie, October 20, 2014, 05:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Quote from: lucius on November 27, 2014, 10:44:33 AM
I just started shopping around for stainless steel CGA320 fittings and I didn't realize they were so pricey.  Any good leads?
The caveat is that they would not ship to Canada.
http://www.zoro.com/i/G4800643/?category=6438

exv152

Quote from: lucius on November 27, 2014, 10:44:33 AM
I just started shopping around for stainless steel CGA320 fittings and I didn't realize they were so pricey.  Any good leads?

Ah yes, welcome to the dual stage wiser-hood.

Now we only have to convince wolfiewill to get onboard.  ;)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on November 27, 2014, 11:55:02 AM

Now we only have to convince wolfiewill to get onboard.  ;)
:D :D

daworldisblack

Welcome onboard !
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on November 27, 2014, 11:55:02 AM

Now we only have to convince wolfiewill to get onboard.  ;)
This has wolfiewill`s name written all over it & matches that nice new starfire monster & nice lights  :P

exv152

Quote from: charlie on November 28, 2014, 12:33:37 PM
This has wolfiewill`s name written all over it & matches that nice new starfire monster & nice lights  :P

It's hard to tell from that picture angle, but is the back of that reg flat, or does it have an elongated body?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on November 28, 2014, 12:51:11 PM
It's hard to tell from that picture angle, but is the back of that reg flat, or does it have an elongated body?
2 stage

lucius

Charlie, I was comparing the pics of your regulator and mine.  I think mine has a release valve installed.  Should I be removing it because you don't seem to have one?

charlie

The choice is yours, it can be left or removed & plugged.

lucius

charlie

Quote from: lucius on November 29, 2014, 09:24:04 PM
That was my next question.  ;)

This is what I use, the brass ones are easy to find & Ottawa Fasteners usually have them, not sure if the chrome or stainless steel is available locally.
1/4 inch NPT male hex plug

lucius

I will probably keep it on.

I was at OFS today hoping to order a brass CGA 320 fitting but it seems as though there is zero stock right now so I will probably have to go back in a couple weeks.  I also asked them to check for chrome fittings.

charlie

Quote from: lucius on November 29, 2014, 10:57:12 PM
I will probably keep it on.

I was at OFS today hoping to order a brass CGA 320 fitting but it seems as though there is zero stock right now so I will probably have to go back in a couple weeks.  I also asked them to check for chrome fittings.
Here is a build thread, that touches on the removal of those valves.
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/10305-Jiinx-Regulator-Build-Thread-VTS250-series-brass-regulator?highlight=matt+Jiinx+regulator
The person that this was built for is located in Toronto & is currently offering it up for sale with an asking price of 250.00.
Regards

charlie

One of the most common things I hear from my fellow local hobbyist regarding Build your own 2 stage regulators is - "Cost",
I have done some research & came up with this.
Regulator - 2 stage used & warranty for 14 days( Guaranteed No DOA) on ebay in Canada 55.00 US + shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231408253493?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Needle valve - Fabco NV 55-18 needle valve from Sempress.ca ( Toronto) 34.75 + approx. 4-5 $ CDN shipping
http://store.fabco-air.com/proddetail.php?prod=NV-55-18

Solenoid -Fabco Directional Control Valve
P/N: 3853-04-A287
From Sempress Toronto - 27.00 CDN. + approx. 4- 5 $ shipping
Misc. brass fittings from local Hardware store - approx. 15.00 Cdn
Probably ball park 170.00 CDN
Compared to most of the budget entry level kits of inferior build quality , the extra 40-50.00 is well worth it

lucius

I've always wondered if Sempress delivers or not.

charlie

Quote from: lucius on December 08, 2014, 09:30:02 PM
I've always wondered if Sempress delivers or not.
Need to specify you want it shipped Canada post as their default shipper is UPS =$$$$$$$$$.
Also if you are ordering from them, need to specify you are using it for fish tank, different price.

Mike L

Just curious why it would be a different price and is it more or less expensive.
Mike

charlie

Quote from: Mike L on December 09, 2014, 02:29:22 PM
Just curious why it would be a different price and is it more or less expensive.
Mike
It`s less expensive.
I have no knowledge why it is, but if I had to guess, my inclination would be someone @ Sempress is trying to help the planted tank hobbyist in GTA.
These parts are not intended for hobby level use, there marketed sector is the hydraulic /pneumatic industry.

charlie

lucius

Definitely some nice stocking stuffers.