New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Project ACO tank-Aids Committee Ottawa

Started by charlie, October 23, 2014, 07:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Hello, fellow aquarium hobbyist of Ottawa, I was recently contacted by a fellow club member-"barefoot_golfer" who was commissioned to setup the new home for a non-profit organization called ACO - Aids Committee Ottawa @ 19 Main St. Ottawa.      ACO assists with Child/Adult Harm Reduction, Food Bank, Cooking, Children's Programs and their core services to AIDs.
At their present location they have an aquarium that he would like to incorporate in the new location, to this end, I was asked to volunteer to assist in that make over. Since it`s a non profit organization  funds are on the short end of the spectrum, hence my free involvement.
Myself & Ron are appealing to the community here to consider donating if they are in a position to do so, some items we need to execute this project.
They already have the tank, cabinet and hood, filter, heater and an aged fluval filter .
The plan is to re do the tank as a low light planted tank viewable from 3 sides, with easy & infrequent maintenance, to this end Ron is donating a nice piece of Drift wood & some plants, my self donating my time & service to scape the tank along with a 25.00 gift certificate I just won on another forum from their anniversary photo contest. The following is badly needed
Plants- Anubias Nana,  Java fern Windeløv , Bacopa caroliniana, Cryptocoryne wendtii  brown or red , dwarf Sagittaria subulata and any other similar low light plants that you may have in abundance since the tank is about 110 gallons.
Hard Scape-  - dragon stone or Lace rock rocks, drift wood.
Substrate - Black Flourite or Black eco complete , used or new
If you have a canister filter or 48 inch Hydroponic  54 watt T5 HO light strip would be great
Any help is appreciated, please contact myself if you would like to assist, this project is set to be completed late Nov.
Ron can answer any questions you may have.
http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=376;u=2170
Regards Errol

wolfiewill

I have all the plants listed and willing to let you have what you need. See you later today.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

charlie

Quote from: wolfiewill on October 24, 2014, 08:53:33 AM
I have all the plants listed and willing to let you have what you need. See you later today.
Thanks Greg, hope you can join me in the scaping of the tank.
Folks if you can supplement the plants Greg is so graciously donating , please do so, since it`s a fairly big tank & I would like to have it almost fully planted for the opening of the building.

charlie

Ron  was trying to post the following but is having computer issues doing so.

QuoteACO - Aids Committee Ottawa is truly a great organization that reaches more people than anyone can imagine.

My last year and half involvement with ACO real estate search and now construction has opened my eyes to a service their website can't show .... where support staff reaching out to kid's/adults that are subjected to daily abuse, bullying, hungry or just tired of social services.       

ACO Nov 27th move to their new facility @ 19 Main St. marks a stepping stone forward to DEC 01 World Aids Day.

Next year marks the 30th Anniversary of the AIDs organization that had its humble beginning in someone's living room.

Errol has thankfully accepted my request in this ACO aquarium setup which will divide their living and dining room with a three sided view.         

In addition to the 3 sided view the aquarium will to being a focal point backdrop when entering the ACO client space.

This tank setup will be recognized as an OVAS contribution to the new ACO home.

As we all know a well-orchestrated move and tank setup takes a tremendous amount of volunteer time, a lot of plants, plenty of hardscape material and a lot of buckets      We have a plan, its your time, plants, hardscape and donations that we'd greatly appreciate.

In addition to my time towards the moving and helping Errol with the setup, I'm contributing my Big Al's points from a few years of enjoying this hobby ..... considered as paying forward to a great organization.

Please feel free to post us how you could help out     Many thanks for viewing, a heart full thanks for donating!
Ron

charlie

Hopefully this link works, this is the general idea I`m starting with & tweaking on the day of the scape, there will be some moss on the drift wood, along with Anubias & java fern around the base of the wood & rocks.

http://www.theaquatools.com/content/view-your-sketch&num=18374

guck

If plants don't have to be snail free, I could through in some Bacopa caroliniana.
And maybe some water wisteria.

wolfiewill

Quote from: charlie on October 24, 2014, 09:15:37 AM
Thanks Greg, hope you can join me in the scaping of the tank.

Just let me know when and where. And is there any equipment needed for the planting/setup?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

lucius

I have a brown crypt the size of a cantaloupe you can have.  I don't have enough windelov java fern to give out but I have needle leaf java fern you can have also.

barefoot_golfer

Errol,

Thanks for posting my initial response to you reaching out..
ACO staff & Board members are very excited in seeing the finished tank!   

Thanks again

charlie

Quote from: guck on October 24, 2014, 02:11:43 PM
If plants don't have to be snail free, I could through in some Bacopa caroliniana.
And maybe some water wisteria.
Thanks guck, but after having a look at what Greg is offering, it appears we have enough plants for the project.
Thanks Greg, very generous of you.
Errol

charlie

Thanks are in order to Fischkopp for his generous donation of his excess substrate, this will go a long way in making this project a success.
Thanks Robert

Stussi613

I have a Rena XP4 that is at David's, please take it the next time you are there and donate it to them Errol.  David already knows that I'm giving it to you.  I also have a few test kits and some miscellaneous items left over from when I was on the fresh side, I'll send you a PM with the inventory and you can have it all as a donation to them if they can use it.
I haz reef tanks.

charlie

Quote from: Stussi613 on October 27, 2014, 01:13:20 PM
I have a Rena XP4 that is at David's, please take it the next time you are there and donate it to them Errol.  David already knows that I'm giving it to you.  I also have a few test kits and some miscellaneous items left over from when I was on the fresh side, I'll send you a PM with the inventory and you can have it all as a donation to them if they can use it.
Thanks Stuart.

charlie

Folks, we have a stumbling block .
I had a look at the tank yesterday & it is badly in need of a re caulking of the outer seal, it appears  the mechanical seal is fine this presents a couple of issues- Housing of livestock temporally & skill set to undertake the re caulking of the tank.
The option of buying a new tank is out of the question due to finances , however if anyone is willing to donate one I`m sure the OAC would be grateful, they presently have a 48 x18 x 24, so even a 75 gallon would suffice.
The other feasible option is ask for a couple of folks to undertake re sealing the tank, if a few of you want to volunteer it would be graciously welcomed, the tank needs to be ready to set up by Nov. 19/20
The other problem is hosting the present livestock, if anyone or LFS is willing to do so please contact me or Barefoot Golfer/Ron.
Lease help if you can.
Errol

charlie

Quote from: charlie on October 28, 2014, 04:59:39 PM
Folks, we have a stumbling block .
I had a look at the tank yesterday & it is badly in need of a re caulking of the outer seal, it appears  the mechanical seal is fine this presents a couple of issues- Housing of livestock temporally & skill set to undertake the re caulking of the tank.
The option of buying a new tank is out of the question due to finances , however if anyone is willing to donate one I`m sure the OAC would be grateful, they presently have a 48 x18 x 24, so even a 75 gallon would suffice.
The other feasible option is ask for a couple of folks to undertake re sealing the tank, if a few of you want to volunteer it would be graciously welcomed, the tank needs to be ready to set up by Nov. 19/20
The other problem is hosting the present livestock, if anyone or LFS is willing to do so please contact me or Barefoot Golfer/Ron.
please help if you can.
Errol
I would like to report that I`m over the moon on several fronts of this project.
I quickly received a PM from Sue, offering to Donate a Hagen tank, the downside was it was a bit narrower that the existing stand.
This morning I called Miracles Aquarium in Canada & reached out to them for a tank, instantly Miracles agreed to Donate a 90 Gallon tank to the project, something they said they don`t normally do WOW, thank you Miracles
Our LFS should really be supporting such dedicated Canadian companies by making their products readily available to local hobbyist ( in Store).
These are the instances when I feel proud to be an aquarium hobbyist, especially here in Ottawa, the community has responded to this project with open arms & welcomed arms they are.
The instant Ron /barefoot_golfer asked be to be a part of this project , I had to second thoughts to accept, it`s my way of giving back, the persons that have donated so far has re assured me that our hobby community is still well & alive, to Ron, Robert, Greg, Sue Stuart, Brian , Guck, thank you guys in joining me & Ron in making this project a success. to the others if you would like to contribute anything even your time to help , please continue to express your intent. So far Greg has offerd to help with the setting up a few more hands would be nice, we are planning to set up after hours around the 20 th of Nov.
Thanks to Peter Lim who was willing to undertake the resealing  if needed, with some help.
Thank you all

barefoot_golfer

Folks,
Logging into my account, I found myself extremely chocked up to see the out reach of donations from my fellow OVAS members and beyond.     Errol hit the nail on the head OVAS is alive and kicking!
Thus far I see Errol throwing his time and efforts on OVAS and beyond with quarterbacking the aquascape of this tank makeover and much more!
Greg, Many thanks for the crop of healthy plants I'm told your donating and look forward to joining you lads to learn a few things about aqua scaping of this ACO tank.
Rob, Many thanks for your contributing excess substrate to this tank make over.
Stuart, An honorable mentioned for donating a XP4 canister filter, I felt the existing canister needed some help. 
Sue, thanks for your stepping up with a replacement tank.   We were attempting to find matching footprint to our stand & rumour has it Derek @ Miracles Aquarium has stepped up with a new matching tank ( OVAS check out http://www.miraclesaquariums.com/ great pricing & Canadian)
Peter Lim, Thanks for volunteering to reseal the tank.
NOTE:   If I've missed anyone its in error, I'm hopeful to check back on Friday to update this posting.

Errol, I can house the ACO livestock in my 33G until the new tank is setup, I will be helping with the move/aquascape.

Unannounced to me, ACO have updated the website for their upcoming move.     http://aco-cso.ca/
In doing so they've also asked I keep track of individuals names and/or companies that donate products, funds or time to be shared in their media update.     Please send me @ your full name and for memory sack what you've donated.         

On behalf of ACO, I'm truly proud of OVAS members for steppin up.   
Thanks again for reaching out to make ACO new home a better place for reaching out to others!
Ron aka Barefoot_Golfer 

Pyrrolin

I can donate some plants but I'm not very close.  I am in Lanark but often we go to Carleton Place if someone is there I could drop them off to.

Are any fish going to be needed?  I have some mollies I would be willing to give away.

Now that I am thinking about it more, if another hand was needed and my budget allowed me to spend the extra gas I might be able to help out and bring plants/fish.  I think it would be fun to work with some others scaping a tank and sharing ideas and knowledge.

If things work out well, maybe the Club could help other organizations set up tanks.  We all know how relaxing it can be to sit and watch fish and it would help expose new people to the hobby.

charlie

Quote from: Pyrrolin on November 02, 2014, 09:48:09 PM
I can donate some plants but I'm not very close.  I am in Lanark but often we go to Carleton Place if someone is there I could drop them off to.

Are any fish going to be needed?  I have some mollies I would be willing to give away.

Now that I am thinking about it more, if another hand was needed and my budget allowed me to spend the extra gas I might be able to help out and bring plants/fish.  I think it would be fun to work with some others scaping a tank and sharing ideas and knowledge.

If things work out well, maybe the Club could help other organizations set up tanks.  We all know how relaxing it can be to sit and watch fish and it would help expose new people to the hobby.
Thank you very much for your kind offer, the plants & fish is covered at this point.
We had a commitment yesterday from some kind gentlemen , to assist in the set up ( daworldisblack, exv152 & Wolfiewill), that said we truly are appreciative of your offer.
Regards Errol

charlie

The items we are short on is- a few bags of new Eco- complete,2 X T5 HO sunlight strips, another suitable  branchy driftwood, Dragon stone & Jungle Val.
Regards Errol

limed

Let me know if you need any Pleco's , have lots of them. If you are missing items
for this project I have some credit at La Niche you can use.

Ed