New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Project ACO tank-Aids Committee Ottawa

Started by charlie, October 23, 2014, 07:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exv152

Quote from: charlie on November 16, 2014, 07:15:42 PMNext is to hook up the CO2, Second filter, gradual introduction of more fish - school of 30 lemon Tetras 7-8 Angels, all generously donated by exv152 ( thank you)
Errol

No problem Errol, it came at the right time – when I was planning to reduce some tanks. I think the folks there will get a lot of enjoyment out of that tank and it's for a good cause. You did a great job of designing the tank.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

wolfiewill

I agree with exv152, Errol, it's a great set up and it was a pleasure to participate. Thanks for letting me help.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

charlie

You guys rock( exv152,wolfiewill & daworldisblack)_, your help was a welcome gesture.
Tank is coming along nicely, fish has being stocked, plants are doing good and establishing itself slowly, the usual Crypt melt has made it`s appearance.
Lighting : 2 X T5HO 54 watt sunblaster strips(no reflectors) just hood painted white inside, these are running 4 hrs at present and supplementing the 48 inch Fluval plant LED.
Filtration : Eheim classic 600 ( 2215?) & Rena XP 4 both needs to be dialed back a bit.
Here is a cell phone picture as of today.

daworldisblack

Was so glad to be a part of this! Too bad the crypt melt hit but I guess we were anticipating that. Otherwise it looks good so far! Thanks for the Update Errol!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

bitterman

ajm1961

Nice layout - has Errol's signature!

Where can we see this tank in person?

Would love to see more pics - where are the tetras?
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

charlie

Quote from: ajm1961 on November 22, 2014, 07:25:09 PM

Not sure if seeing the tank in person would be feasible, since due to the nature of who they cater to requires some amount of confidentiality.
I will definitely try to keep this thread updated with pictures as time goes by, the tank after one week is coming along nicely, this is due to overwhelming support from the OVAS community , the ACO staff is amazed by this outpouring of help & has helped promote the hobby & OVAS.
The executive director has already mentioned putting something up on the tank or surrounding area , acknowledging the contribution from the OVAS community.
The school of lemon tetras went in today, thanks exv152.
Regards Errol

charlie

Quote from: ajm1961 on November 22, 2014, 07:25:09 PM

I had a chat today with Ron, he has asked me to coordinate the persons who contributed to this project to have a small gathering this coming week before the normal day to day operations of ACO starts on Dec. 1.
I`m suggesting we do so on Friday evening , say 6 or 7?
Please provide feed back here .
Regards Errol

Pyrrolin

If they think it looks great now, wait till they see in in a couple months once the crypts recover and things really get going well.  I am planning a move shortly after just moving a few months ago.  My plants are just now recovering from the last move and now I'm going to move them again.  My crypts did well the last move but the vals took forever to come back and now they are growing great

ajm1961

Hope last night's viewing was well attended - had to miss out myself due to other family commitments.
Very happy that this has come together. Look forward to seeing any other pictures on how the tank progresses.
Job well done!

charlie

Quote from: ajm1961 on November 27, 2014, 06:29:35 AM
Hope last night's viewing was well attended - had to miss out myself due to other family commitments.
Very happy that this has come together. Look forward to seeing any other pictures on how the tank progresses.
Job well done!
Sadly the effort was wasted, but ACO is still appreciative of the support.
Regards

charlie

The plants are showing  signs of settling & recovering, fish are also doing great but suffered a loss of 3 Lemon tetras
Pictorial update as of Nov. 26.

bitterman

That looks awesome!!!!! I bet it is well enjoyed!

Can't wait to see it in a few months!

Bruce

daworldisblack

Sorry I couldn't make it out last night! I am disappointed that I did not get to see this beauty up close! Really coming along now - the tenellus foreground looks awesome and the huge anubias leaves look great in contrast to the other finer leaved plants. Thanks again for the opportunity!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

lucius

ajm1961

Like Don Cherry would say: "It's a BEAUTY!"
8)

barefoot_golfer

A big thank you to all OVAS members & sponsors that reached out, donated and volunteered in the ACO tank setup.

Over the week of operation the staff & client's have expressed "its a beauty" if I can share Don Cherry words again!
It truly is a centre of attention and will only get better over time.

Today marked the first day the Food Bank filled ACO new pantry and it clients picked up groceries.
We should all be very proud of this accomplishment.

Thanks again for reaching out and making their Living Room come alive!
Ron a.k.a. Barefoot_Golfer

charlie

A quick update, the tank suffered a small hi cup due to some issues, as can be expected with most tanks after start up . The tenellus & Staurogyne repens  suffered the most as a result i removed them & have replaced the tenellus with dwarf sag which is now  starting to carpet.
The folks at ACO are still happy with the tank & so are the neighbors  that walk by to take a little peek after dark, it is the focus of conversation at gatherings.
Once again this would not have been possible without those that contributed to the cause.
Here is a quick phone shot, do excuse all the reflection, it was unavoidable.
Errol

wolfiewill

The tank looks very nice, and of course will be terrific in time now that you have made those changes. Good on you. And, I have a suggestion: some Java moss on the wood would soften up the look, and give a different texture, and a greater sense of depth.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

exv152

Quote from: charlie on July 08, 2015, 07:54:01 PMThe tenellus & Staurogyne repens  suffered the most as a result i removed them & have replaced the tenellus with dwarf sag which is now  starting to carpet.

I've never had any issues with staurogyne repens, it's grown quite well for me. Maybe because the parameters where they came from were similar to my own, so there was no initial shock. I know, like crypts, some plants will go through a shock response if the new parameters are different. Like trees losing their leaves in the fall. Which would explain the tenellus melt too. But if there was a period of time the co2 was inconsistent, or the light too low, that could've also play a part. I also find s.repens does really well from emersed to submerged IME.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g