New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Wintering lilies without a pond

Started by Laura, October 25, 2014, 11:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura

I just got a bunch of water lilies from Graham's friend (thanks!), but don't yet have a pond. I know I can winter them in the basement, but have just had it suggested to bury them in the soil outside. I like the simpler option of burying them outside, bit wanted to know if anyone has experience with this.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Richard

Your lilies will need to be kept from freezing. If the rhizomes freeze, they will desiccate and you will loose them. Keep them in a frost free environment where they will be dormant for the winter. One solution would be to plant them into a bucket or similar with enough soil in the bottom, then sufficient water over the crown of the plant, locate them where the temperature is ideally around 5C. Keep a check that it does not dry out overwinter then transfer to a pond or outdoor feature when the ice has thawed in  the spring.

Aquafreak2

I cut them back and throw them in with my fish in the fish tank.  They actually bloom earlier for me that way.