New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Maxspect Gyre - Impressive!

Started by rockworm, October 30, 2014, 03:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockworm

I picked up a Maxspect Gyre XF150 today at Marinescape. This powerhead can produce serious water movement. I have a 210g, 72" x 24"w x 30"h. I have two Tunze 6101's ( >7000 gph) and 2 6055's (>1400 gph). These have provided very good flow within the tank.

I hooked up the Gyre and I wish these were out when I originally set up the tank. I would have saved some money, for sure. My initial impression is that I could get by without the Tunzes and just use 1 Gyre. I am going to keep the Tunze for now and test different combinations over the next week or two to see if they are really needed.

I have only run the unit for an hour, so far, and tried the different modes. There is a continuous current, pulse mode and reverse mode. The continuous current mode can be adjusted from 10% to 100% allowing for varying flows.  The pulse mode makes the pump speed up and slow down on a set pulse rate. Finally, the reverse mode changes the direction of the water movement. The reverse flow is less than the forward flow due to the nature of the impeller. (Impeller is a squirrel cage rather than the traditional fan type. There are 2 impellers on the Gyre) The forward and reverse flow rates are both adjustable as is the interval for reversal. I am leaning towards this as the standard flow for my tank. It emulates the tidal movement (plus it makes the torch coral look cool as it sways.

The unit looks and feels well constructed, and the magnet is strong. I have 1/2" glass and I can definitely feel the force which holds the motor/impeller to the inside of the glass. There is a basic controller (wired)  that is used to change the flow type and flow rate.

I do not know the longevity because this is a whole new design in powerheads. Like everything new, there may be some issues, but the warranty covers the first year.

I forgot to mention that the motor is 36vdc 2a.  I can see the Gyre replacing a battery of in tank powerheads making the purchase price very economical, particularly in a larger tank.  Only time will show the reliability but this, in my opinion, is a good purchase.

180g with 2x54g bookend corner bowfront.  220g FOWLR.
75g sump/65g fuge/90g benthic/fuge.

bandit

I got one also at marinscape and wow,  :P I went from running one mp40 full tilt pulse and 3 koralia to just one gyre  at about 25% pulse. So far all my sps have increased polyp extension and lps and clams are much more expanded. The indirect gyre movement is amazing!