New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

PET EXPO THIS WEEKEND!

Started by ajm1961, November 07, 2014, 05:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajm1961

If you're coming to PetExpo, OVAS will be there! Look for us in the new Aquatics Section.
Go to their home site for more information and to get $2 off coupons: http://www.ottawapetexpo.ca/home

We were approached by the PetExpo organizers two weeks ago to participate - as ambassadors for the aquarium hobby. All costs are being covered by them.

We will have several displays:
25 gallon cichlid tank - set-up by Peter Lim
18 gallon saltwater tank - set-up by David Cooper of Got Fish?
15 gallon planted tank - set-up by Errol Choo
4 gallon community tank - set-up by Steph and Jon Herstead
4 gallon shrimp tank - set-up by Shawn Do
1 gallon Betta tank - set-up by Sylvie Bourgon

Four presentations will also be given:
Saturday
11:00 AM Presentation: Rob - Intro to Corals
2:00 PM Presentation: Errol: Keeping plants in your aquarium
Sunday
11:00 AM Presentation: Stephanie - Fish Community Compatibility
2:00 PM Presentation: Errol: Keeping plants in your aquarium

Thanks to all who are volunteering their time to make this happen in such a short timeframe! And thanks to Pet Expo representatives, Pat O'Donnell and Jake Naylor, for giving us this opportunity!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

limed

A couple of days ago there was $4.00 off coupon in the newpaper (Citizen).

Ed

ajm1961

If it the same as the Metro news, it was $4 off per couple, or $2 off per person - same coupon as online...

charlie

Since time was short for preparation of a tank, I came up with this, still need to tweak it some more moving some plants around, this will be done tonight

SlyAngel

Great job Errol, it's beautiful...thanks for you help!
I share two angel fish tanks - both of which my hubby takes care of! What's not to like?

daworldisblack

Theres no way for one not to be interested in planted tanks when its made to look this simple!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

limmer

All set up and ready to go.
Here are a few shots of our booth.

charlie

I had great time yesterday, chatting with folks who at one time or the other kept Aquariums & is now thinking of getting back in the hobby, also had visits by some OVAS`ers, nice seeing you guys.
The highlight of my day was a little kid( about 3) who was in love with the little freshwater shrimps, so much so that his dad repeatedly would say  -" hey there is nemo" & take him over only for him to run back to watch his beloved shrimp, even met the daughter & grand daughter of a past President of early days of the club.

SlyAngel

Thank you so much Errol for helping on this! Andre is very happy with your support on this weekend.
I share two angel fish tanks - both of which my hubby takes care of! What's not to like?

Stussi613

That's a great looking tank Errol, your dedication to OVAS year after year is inspiring.

It's great to see the members of the exec stepping up to do this year after year to help promote the hobby in Ottawa.

Finally, thanks to David for stepping up over and over again to help out to help the club when asked.   It's nice to see a sponsor who always wants to give back to the club!
I haz reef tanks.

ajm1961

Yes, a big THANK YOU to David from Got Fish? is in order. His simple but beautiful CAD Light 18 gallon display with a hit with the crowd. The clown fish continue to be popular with the kids... NEMO, NEMO!!

Errol's expertly scaped planted tanks were a draw as well, and his and Shawn's shrimp tanks also kept many a child's gaze. A number of cichlid fans enjoyed Peter's 25 gallon display, while Jon and Steph's 4 gallon gourami and gudgeon tank really "popped" with its red gravel and blue light.

All-in-all, a job well done to keep our hobby and our club in the public's eye. It is a venture worth keeping in the years to come.

charlie

@ slyangel
@stussi613
Thanks & you are very welcome.

bitterman

Got Fish?

it was fun for sure but do wish that the sponsors would do more to give back to the club as it always seems to be just me. see you guys next year maybe  ;)

limmer

Got Fish?

Says not aloud to view for me............ :D.

ajm1961