New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Scuds

Started by Bob_S, November 16, 2014, 06:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob_S

Back in June I thought I would give Cherry Shrimp a try so I set up a ten gallon tank. I got ½ dozen, then over the course of several weeks they slowly died off.  As the shrimp were dying off I did notice small shrimp swimming around and then more and more. Figured the babies adapted to the water better than the adults. The only problem is that they were not growing more than a ½ cm. Finally today I got a magnified glass and had a good look. They are scuds.

Here what they look like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5i5HDySQXo

I had bought a couple of moss balls and some Java Moss for the tank, so they must have come with the plants. I have never heard of scuds before but they are doing well.

Everything makes sense now. I plan to start a new shrimp tank and in the mean time my cichlids will have a change of diet.

120g  Yellow Labs, PS Socolofi,  Neolomprologus leleupi , compressiceps Chaitika
30g Albino Pleco's
30g Planted, 10g cherry shrimp

robt18

I just found a couple in one of my tanks yesterday too, weird timing. Don't know how or when they got there (on a plant at some point I'm sure...) but they seem to be having a good time.