New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Please bring back chat!

Started by bitterman, November 18, 2014, 04:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitterman

The thread Errol posted "Those were the days of OVAS" http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=58390.0 got me thinking.. this was when there would be 20 people in chat a lot of the day and it added to Ovas greatly!!! Made for a even more friendly site.

Could also be good for real time support from some of our sponsors if they had there own chatroom too .

Could be win/win !

Bruce

SlyAngel

I think it's a great idea......as long as we have people helping on the moderation side. It's not as easy to moderate.
I share two angel fish tanks - both of which my hubby takes care of! What's not to like?

bitterman

I will moderate as always :)

Bruce

sas

Yep all for bringing chat back, and I'll moderate as well, no problem there :).

charlie

Chat , if properly managed is great.
I remember organising  a live chat event with Tom Barr, very cost effective.
I also recall when it went amuck at one time by some without proper management ( Bruce will remember that well).
Errol

bitterman

Quote from: charlie on November 19, 2014, 09:07:59 AM
Chat , if properly managed is great.
I remember organizing  a live chat event with Tom Barr, very cost effective.
I also recall when it went amuck at one time by some without proper management ( Bruce will remember that well).
Errol

I agree Errol. But I think we should give it a chance again. People will need to moderate it... and we will need to put place some rules I expect.

I also think its a great resource for emergency 911 types of things.

Organized events are definitely a very good thing also!

Bruce

charlie

Don`t get me wrong i`m not against it, in fact I support it. I was just being honest.
Errol

SlyAngel

I have nothing agains't this but I think right now the committee has lots on their plates...maybee next year.....more people will get involved and it could be done.

Anyway, we can bring it up in our next committee meeting!  :)
I share two angel fish tanks - both of which my hubby takes care of! What's not to like?

charlie

Quote from: SlyAngel on November 19, 2014, 09:54:14 AM
I have nothing agains't this but I think right now the committee has lots on their plates...maybee next year.....more people will get involved and it could be done.

Anyway, we can bring it up in our next committee meeting!  :)

In the past , the chat was not on the Exec. plate, it used to be the Webmaster to implement & the mods to manage .

bitterman

Quote from: charlie on November 19, 2014, 10:23:36 AM
In the past , the chat was not on the Exec. plate, it used to be the Webmaster to implement & the mods to manage .

I agree all the exec has to do is tell the Webmaster to make it so. I will even aid in testing it if needed like I have done int he past for things like when the site was upgraded to a new software version. I'm really good a breaking things!

Bruce

SlyAngel

Ok I am out of the conversation..lol..........I will let the rest of the committee decide on this

bitterman

Ajax chat is pretty decent.  Webmaster would have to integrate with the site and user-base on our web-server.

Here is a chat room I setup on a free service to test the capabilities. Other than having to create an account seams to work very well. Ideally it should let any user in using the same username etc as here.

http://chatcave.me/chat/OVAS/index.php

Bruce