New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Leaving the hobby due to landlord stabbing me in the back!!!! HELP

Started by Ruber, November 20, 2014, 10:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruber

Before I started this hobby I asked the landlord since in my lease it says I can't have fish or aquariums.

I asked him about it at his office and this is because in the past they had tenants that had aquariums on the top floor and broke, so there was major water damage.  I explained to him that the basement that isn't finished would be used only,  and I have Insurance for water damage in case of something bad going down, he told me has long has its in the basement there isn't any problems.

This was over a year ago.

Today I receive a letter from a bailiff saying that he has had multiple complaints about my aquariums,  I don't think My fish are barking all day. No one comes in my basement but my wife and kids.  

I have 14 days to remove everything or they start the proceedings to get me Evicted.

I have lived here for over 14 years.  Never had any problems, always paid my rent on time.

I don't seem to have access to the classified section,  and forced to leave the hobby. I don't feel like giving this stuff away, I invested so much in this Hobby.

Anyone have ideas where to sell all this?

Or take pics of everything and sell via Kijiji,   I do only have 14 days to get rid of at least the fish and live plants.  

Any help is welcome at this point, Time is running out for me, they want to inspect my place in 14 days or the evict me.

Nienna

Hi Ruber,

That sucks - do you have any of the agreement with the landlord re: keeping the aquariums in writing?  Also have you confirmed that the letter is legit?  What were the complaints about, humidity/mould?

We've had the classifieds limited to paid members for a while now - a year's membership is $20.

http://ovas.ca/ovas/about-ovas/membership

bitterman

Sorry to hear about your issues. What bylaw did you break? Maybe you can negotiate and keep 1 tank and keep your favorites. Maybe its that you have to many tanks and the weight, humidity etc is causing issues for the building? Is it against your User agreement you signed? I would question things before getting ride of everything.. Maybe Its an intimidation tactic.  Maybe time to move?

Used Ottawa and kijiji are probably your best bet to sell things. You could also see if any the the LFS will take items and pay you something for them?

Bruce

Salt

Sorry bout the bad news boss.

Landlord and Tenant act actually outlines no tenants may have any form of housing of water exceeding 15 or something gallons of water.  If memory serves me correctly.

I believe the clause was instituted in the early 90's in the hopes to not allow tenants to have water beds.  Unfortunately, the clause would lend to outlaw aquariums as well.

:-(  sorry

Laura

You should call the landlord tenant board to confirm first whether your landlord has a leg to stand on.... http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

Parisiot

This is interesting.
Regarding the "no pet provision" that prohibits landlords from telling you that you cannot have a pet.
Im having trouble finding this said X housing of water limitation in the Residential Tenancies Act, which is more often then not, in the tenants favour.
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_06r17_e.htm#BK15

ftan

Quote from: Parisiot on November 23, 2014, 10:27:05 PM
This is interesting.
Regarding the "no pet provision" that prohibits landlords from telling you that you cannot have a pet.
Im having trouble finding this said X housing of water limitation in the Residential Tenancies Act, which is more often then not, in the tenants favour.
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_06r17_e.htm#BK15

He lives across the river on the DARK SIDE
75g  congo tertas
        columbian tetras
        torpedo barbs
        tinfoil barbs

10g planted
pair of killifish

Pyrrolin

you can call the landlord tenant board and get information over the phone.  You can also go to a legal aid clinic for help.

I would be on kijiji finding a new place before trying to sell your stuff.

charlie

nemo14

Maybe you can ask a friend that has his  or her own house to keep the tanks until you get into a new place that will allow aquariums with written permission by the landlord. There has to be landlords that are fish lovers somewhere. Dam sorry for your troubles.