New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fancy goldfish keepers

Started by Antlese, November 23, 2014, 06:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antlese

Hey everyone,
Are there any fancy goldfish enthusiasts in the Ottawa area that are on thus forum?

I have a 120 gal goldfish tank that I would like to keep ranchus and orandas in. But I'm having a difficult time finding quality fish. Many of the local stores have poor quality stock...not at all like the beauties I see for sale in the states.

I would be willing to travel to Montreal, Kingston, or maybe even Toronto if I thought there was good stock to choose from.

Anybody have similar interest in goldfish in Ottawa? Have you found a good breeder or importer nearby?

Laura

I don't know any breeders, but just wanted to say that I'm so glad to see someone wanting to keep golides in a great sized tank!
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

missavgp

another option to consider is getting them shipped to Ogdensburg and driving to pick them up if you find ones that you really want in the US. The Kinek point there will accept fish and as long as you have the appropriate documentation it is not difficult to get them back across the border
Mom of boys. Less drama than girls, but harder to keep alive

lucius

Antlese

Quote from: missavgp on November 23, 2014, 08:46:00 PM
another option to consider is getting them shipped to Ogdensburg and driving to pick them up if you find ones that you really want in the US. The Kinek point there will accept fish and as long as you have the appropriate documentation it is not difficult to get them back across the border

I've been thinking about ordering a couple from east coast ranchu and picking them up in Ogdensburg. She says she does this frequently for Canadians. Will let you know how it goes if I try this.

Antlese

Quote from: lucius on November 23, 2014, 08:57:54 PM
La Niche often gets goldfish.

http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=58582.0

You can also try Finaddicts in Kingston.

http://www.finaddicts.ca/index.asp

I have 2 ranchus and an oranda from la Niche. This store probably has the best selection in town.

Was in kingston this summer. They had just a small selection of nice goldfish at Finaddicts. If my tank had been cycled I would of picked up 2 really nice black ranchus that they had. Maybe I'll call them tomorrow to see what they have.

Shawn84

Your gone a have a hard time finding quality goldfish period in Canada. Best is try importing it from over sea or a reputable breeder in the US
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

Antlese

Quote from: Shawn84 on November 24, 2014, 01:13:55 AM
Your gone a have a hard time finding quality goldfish period in Canada. Best is try importing it from over sea or a reputable breeder in the US

I agree. Was at a fish store this weekend in Ottawa. They had quite a few fancy gold fish. Very poor quality. Some with very obvious defects and health issues.

A trip across the border in the new year for me to pick up some nice Ranchus.

JayT

I used to keep fancygoldfishand was very happy with the stock from fishsempai.com.  I visited him twice in Breslau to select Fish and was pretty impressed!

Antlese

Quote from: JayT on January 02, 2015, 10:34:18 PM
I used to keep fancygoldfishand was very happy with the stock from fishsempai.com.  I visited him twice in Breslau to select Fish and was pretty impressed!

I've seen good things written about fishsempai. Unfortunately he is no longer in business. :(

lepageg

If you want truly high quality Goldfish you might want to consider Steve at Rain Garden.

I purchased from Steve numerous times. His goldfish are second to none in my book.  The only catch is you might have to drive a bit to pick them up across the border.  I usually pick them up at the Fedex dropoff location in Watertown.

http://www.raingarden.us/what-new.htm

also you will need to present the following form at the border crossing.  go to the following Canadian Food and Inspection, click on the AIRS link search for 'Goldfish (ornamental, live)' and print out the form.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/imports/airs/eng/1300127512994/1300127627409

Good luck!

Antlese

Hey lepageg,
Thanks for the RainGarden suggestion and the  AIRS link also.
Much appreciated.