New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Maxspect Razor question

Started by tophoo, November 24, 2014, 03:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tophoo

I currently have a 20g tall reef tank with a 120w maxspect on it.  I was thinking about upgrading to a 36" tank.  With that said, do you guys think the 120w would work with a tank that size?  I just don't want to break the bank again lol

robt18

I think someone else just posted a really similar situation? I don't see it right off the bat, but take a look. Should be good, if you have the new optics on the outsides it might give you better coverage. But I've heard from others that they didn't like the wider optics so it's really a personal point. Overall, general consensus is that is it sufficient, but you'll have to play with it a bit to get it just right.

Terry

I am probably too late, but I have tried the 120 watt unit on a 29 inch tank and it was not good enough.  Light in the middle could be set to be strong enough, no problem at all, but the sides were not adequately covered - and it would be worse as the light ramps up (and down) to whatever peak strength you set it up at.  I swapped for the 160 watt light and it is vastly better - actually looks professional.  Of course, for a FOWLR tank, the 120 would be fine.
Terry

tophoo

Thanks for the reply.  I was thinking of having one or two islands in the middle.  I have the new 120 lenses on it now for a wider spread.  It doesn't matter to me if there is slightly dark corners.  Anybody else have dark corners?