New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

pleco babies

Started by fishy friend, November 24, 2014, 06:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishy friend

Our albino Plecos had more babies, I counted at least 7 this morning. This is the second batch of babies they have had since we got them about a year ago. They really seem to like the hollow log and plants. We now have about 14 Plecos in the tank. When is it okay to separate the babies from their mom? Thank you in advance, Natasha

lucius

When my plecos were breeding I pulled them out after lights out with a turkey baster.  But I only targeted the ones that were on the glass and not in the cave.  BTW, it's most likely the father that's protecting them right now.

fishy friend

Thank you very much. It is definitely the male that is protecting them as I have only seen the female outside of the hollow log last time and so far this time round. After a few months the male would come out and as soon as he saw me he would go right back into the log. Do you feed them any differently? I have been adding lightly steamed zucchini to ensure there is enough food for everyone.

lucius

I found my male did that as well.  He wouldn't leave his cave unless he felt he needed to.  I no longer keep caves in my tank because they were always breeding on me.

I'm on a four day feeding cycle with my bottom feeders and I didn't make any changes when they were breeding.

Day 1 - zucchini
Day 2 - shrimp pellets
Day 3 - algae wafers
Day 4 - nothing

And then I repeat.