New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Frontosa Wants Friends!

Started by Graham, December 18, 2014, 09:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham

Hello all,
I made the switch from malawi cichlids to tanganyikans in one of my tanks and it has been quite different. I've had a frontosa for a while now, and decided that I wanted to keep him long term. I have him in a 72 bowfront with two daffodils and a couple african catfish. I'd like to know what other tangs would be a good fit with him. Would calvus/ compressiceps be alright? I like tanganyikans, but miss the amount of energy that came with a malawi show tank.
Let me know with what you think.

Mike L

I think Calvus /comps would work. Maybe a transcriptus or shellies. They all might be fish food for the Frontosa when it's bigger though. I still stand by my earlier post to you that the front is not good long term
Be careful with the daffodils. If they breed they will take over the whole tank. When I was newer to the hobby and ill informed I had a 125 with some Frontosa/Calvus/ and some julies. I introduced daffodils that started breeding. They killed some of the fish while I was on holiday's before the sitter knew what was happening. Lost some front's and a calvus. The fronts were easily 3 times their size. Best of luck and post some pic's
Mike

bitterman

You might want to read the article linked here

http://ovas.ca/ovas/newsletters/2010%20-%20November.pdf

Adult Comps/Calvus are your best bet of getting somthing to work.

Malawi will nip fins.
Shellies will beat the crap out of fronts.
A lot of other tangs will get eaten.

Bruce

Graham

Very informative article Bruce thank you for sharing this with me! Just saw this now, and I'll be sure to use this info to my advantage.

bitterman

Quote from: Graham on January 30, 2015, 04:46:52 PM
Very informative article Bruce thank you for sharing this with me! Just saw this now, and I'll be sure to use this info to my advantage.

Glad it helped!

Regards,
   Bruce