New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Getting my feet wet again!

Started by Lexx, December 29, 2014, 04:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lexx

Hey everyone! 8)

It has been some years since i last had a tank! I've had 2 FW tanks before! One when i was in my teens, and the other in my 20's! So i will consider myself a newb/noob again! After lurking here for a few days, I've come to the realization that I did next to nothing right in those tanks! So i have found myself here in hopes that in the near future i may "pick some brains" or even find a semi mentor. I say semi because inevitably it is my choice as to what and how I want in my tank/s. But i find it is nice to learn from those with the experience to at least get the basics, or explain the differences in stuff! Expect to see lots of posts from me in the near future as to which way i should progress, and rough expectations of the different costs in getting started with the different setups! I'm leaning towards a planted FW, but who doesn't love the look of a sick SW? Anyways I have many decisions and learning ahead of me! I also might be looking into a membership, and popping in for some meetings! Although I'm not sure what the meetings are all about? I guess that's it for now. If there is anything i have forgotten then by all means ask. You never know if you don't ask, plus I've heard there is no such thing as a stupid question!

Morgan

charlie

Warm welcome to OVAS, good idea on the membership & meetings.
Looking forward to your progression whichever way you go.
Regards

Lexx

Thank you for the warm welcome charlie. I was sort of considering a SW setup, but in thinking about it. I would probably do best to start out with a FW! I have a bit of experience with FW and know very little about SW systems. I know that i have always liked Guppies, Betta's, and Kuhli Loaches!

I was thinking about possibly doing a planted tank. I am extremely ignorant to this whole subject at this point other then you can make driftwood look like underwater trees! Ha ha, so much to learn!

I'm also guessing, by the quick search that i did. I will want to start with the biggest tank i can comfortably house with in my living quarters! Or maybe not as i could fit a huge tank in my house! Seriously, i could easily fit like an 8'x2'x2' tank in my Kitchen/Dining room! I'm guessing something around 50-75G would be suffice?

charlie

Good stuff, planted tanks are not as difficult as some think, doing your research  before going forward is key.
Some things you would need to focus on is the type of plants  & style/layout of the tank, this will greatly influence the lighting & nutrients you would need to provide.
They are a few folks on the forum who will gladly guide you through, so fire away any questions you have in the planted tank forum if you go that route.
For tanks , the sky is the limit these days, it is usually recommended getting a tank with the best depth front to back minimum 18 inches, for the height keep it standard to around 20 inches.
Cheers

lucius

It's too bad that you're a week late.  Big Al's had lots of fish tanks for sale on Boxing Day. 

If you're considering a 8'x2'x2' (240 gallon) tank, you can start off by determining if your floors can handle that much weight.

Lexx

I'm sure there will be more sales before i am ready to make my purchases! As for a 240G I was joking about getting one that big, for now anyways! lol. I know that my floor could handle it as it is a solid concrete slab in my Kitchen/Dining Room. It's an addition to a 140 year old house! But i do appreciate the advice about the weight on the floors!

lucius

I was mistaken.  Big Al's still has a Boxing Week sale.

Lexx

So i've paid my membership to OVAS. So if i have read correctly someone will be sending me a form to fill out so it says i'm a member here on the forum? Also, the meetings are on the fourth Monday of the month? Are they posted in advance somewhere on the forum, as i've read that there are some months with no meetings and sometimes they are moved? I have also read about a Plantaholics group that meets up every so often. Is this still active?

I've been doing some research in to plants but i think i will need to see some more setups and plants to come up with a better plan!

I've been trying to find suitable fish but keep finding myself looking at cleanup crew! lol, Between BN Pleco's, Kuhli Loaches, Pygmy Cories, also some sort of Shrimp. Might be a bit much or no? I'm thinking of definitely starting with a 75G, if that info helps?

Oh so much to research. I don't know how i kept any fish alive before! I am so going to do this right this time! I'm not buying anything until I am sure of my direction and what equipment i am going for! I say this now but if things become available and the timing is right i may just be willing to jump the gun!

charlie

Quote from: Lexx on January 01, 2015, 09:19:31 AM
So i've paid my membership to OVAS. So if i have read correctly someone will be sending me a form to fill out so it says i'm a member here on the forum? Also, the meetings are on the fourth Monday of the month? Are they posted in advance somewhere on the forum, as i've read that there are some months with no meetings and sometimes they are moved? I have also read about a Plantaholics group that meets up every so often. Is this still active?

I've been doing some research in to plants but i think i will need to see some more setups and plants to come up with a better plan!

I've been trying to find suitable fish but keep finding myself looking at cleanup crew! lol, Between BN Pleco's, Kuhli Loaches, Pygmy Cories, also some sort of Shrimp. Might be a bit much or no? I'm thinking of definitely starting with a 75G, if that info helps?

Oh so much to research. I don't know how i kept any fish alive before! I am so going to do this right this time! I'm not buying anything until I am sure of my direction and what equipment i am going for! I say this now but if things become available and the timing is right i may just be willing to jump the gun!
The group is still active, as you read it`s an informal gathering that is usually at someone`s place that volunteers as host, here we get to talk plants , ask questions & share experiences , also trade some plants while having a fun time. Looking forward to meeting you at the next one when it`s organised.
You are correct the club holds meeting every 4 th Monday & it`s usually posted ahead of time on what is planed for the upcoming meeting.
Kudos to you for joining the club & welcome.
Regards

Lexx

Thank you Charlie for all the responses. I am sure we will definitely meet up at some point! With all the benefits to becoming a member, it seems foolish not to join! Just with the start up costs alone, i will recoup the membership cost! Plus i will be aloud to borrow books from the club library! I think i need to take a weekend and go to some of the LFS's and maybe even the other pet stores that stock their mini zoo's, check stuff out and figure out the differences in different setups. Things like filtration, lighting, and all that stuff!

Lexx

I see it says i am a member now! Yay me. Am i wrong to think i should have received an email about this? Or is that for my membership, and where to send my card?

Morgan

lucius

I think the Membership Chair snail mail's your membership card to the address you entered in your application form.

Lexx

Ah OK, thanks lucius.

I read somewhere about a person named Bitterman, sending emails but do not recall as to what exactly for.

Morgan

lucius

Lexx

Ah, thank you kindly! It must've linked when I put my email address in on the form!

Morgan

Lexx

So anyone have any good advice for breaking it too the other half about spending close to grand if not more on a new hobby?

Stopped in at BA East for about an hour checking things out and trying to come up with a vision! I think i have the basic layout of what i want it to look like! I'll just have to figure out how to do it!

Side note. how do you transport a 75G tank? I'm guessing that the stand and other bigger items are in need of assembly or are packaged well for transport. The tank itself has me worried a bit! I'm not interested in dropping a couple hundred bucks to drive an hour to find it i broke it on the ride home, lol.

Morgan

lucius

I transported my 75 gallon in the back seat of my car without any issues but I only live 10 minutes away from BA's east.  The stand and tank just have a cardboard wrap around them.  And the stand is already assembled.

exv152

I was able to fit my 75g in the back seat of a small car and as mentioned, it comes well packaged in cardboard. The only real danger is something sliding into the side of the tank, or the tank sliding around while you drive. The stand is another thing altogether. You might want to solicit the help of someone with at least an big enough SUV, van or pick up truck ideally.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Brine

We transported my 125 strapped to the roof rack of a Chrysler Sebring in a snow storm from Big Al's boxing day a few years ago. The box got destroyed by the wet weather but the tank was fine.

Lexx

Ok, I feel better now! I can get my hands on a four door full size pickup truck! If not i got a work truck that can get the job done! LOL.