New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

65 gallon angel tank +

Started by dobergoat, January 24, 2015, 11:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dobergoat

So just started putting the tank together. Note to self. Bring the sand in so its not a frozen 50 lbs block....not sure on my hard scape. Still waiting on my manzanita to come.in.

Now I need to figure out how to post pictures from my phone.

dobergoat

So I'm thinking I can't get away with the stone on the right...do I need more rock? Very depressing buying rock when I have 100's of pounds if not way more on my farm...but non look as nice as these..

Used leco on the left in pantyhose with a layer of sand to build the hill. Going to see how that works. Dirted with pool filter ( much lighter colour then expected) not sure no like the light colour...

Any feed  in the hard scape? Totally new and the is.

dobergoat

Added sand but it a solid bock of ice at the moment. Probably should have thawed it ahead of time..

charlie

A few things I would suggestions :
hold off on the sand until you are sure the scape is what you are going with.
Pull the soil back front the front panel & 2 side panels about 1 - 2  inches , so when you cap the visible double layer is not there.
Higher embankment on the left side
Try laying some of your rocks flat with the grade of your hill as opposed to all pointing up.
Regards

dobergoat

Thanks Errol. I wish I had read the post BEFORE adding water yesterday! I'm less then patient. I did read about putting the soil back, did that thankfully, but when I turned on the hose to fill I messed up and some mixed, I'll have to fix that!

The hil on the back left was the Leco balls in stockings so there is more sand, but I don't think I have anough rock to hold the sand in place. What do you think?

I need to do a big water change and get a few more rocks I believe, or my hills are going to disappear once the cories go in there. Not sure if cories is a good idea in this tank any more....

dobergoat

Cloudy still so I need to do a big water change. And plant the rotella? Likely spelt wrong.

I put in an inch of soil and I think 2 inches of sand. I will have to use a measuring tape as I suck at guesstimating. I also have to level the sand in the front after I messed that up filling. Didn't expect the sand to be so light!

where is the picture?

dobergoat

charlie

Quote from: dobergoat on January 26, 2015, 08:48:53 AM
Thanks Errol. I wish I had read the post BEFORE adding water yesterday! I'm less then patient. I did read about putting the soil back, did that thankfully, but when I turned on the hose to fill I messed up and some mixed, I'll have to fix that!

The hil on the back left was the Leco balls in stockings so there is more sand,  :)
I need to do a big water change and get a few more rocks I believe, or my hills are going to disappear once the cories go in there. Not sure if cories is a good idea in this tank any more....
You may be on to something, but all is not lost you can make some retaining walls/ substrate support with vinyl strips or corrugated plastic board from Home depot , Lowes etc, basically you cut it into strips as needed & place them in the substrate.
Maybe the other guys can comment?

dobergoat

Well I put some of the wood in, and stirred up the tank again...
One more piece and then I'm done fiddling,  have to do another big water change and bring up the water level.

Does it look weird with the tree coming out? I have another piece of burl to go in the front, just boiling it.

dobergoat

please excuse the mess...so I found out I need to boil my wood, cause it has ALOT of tannins!!!

charlie

Where did you get that wood :) I want to suspect you harvested it locally? :P
To be honest, for me it does not do anything for the tank, but maybe I`m not seeing the entire objective.
Just me, would be nice to hear other comments.
Come on guy`s the OP is asking for help!

exv152

Quote from: charlie on January 30, 2015, 12:19:31 PM
Just me, would be nice to hear other comments.
Come on guy`s the OP is asking for help!

I don't mind helping but I don't want to guess what the main objective is, maybe if you posted a picture of another tank you're using as inspiration?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Got Fish?

I can see a vision but I'm not sold on the branch out the aquarium. It's just me but tank stuff stays in the tank  ;D I like the rest and looks natural so good job.

dobergoat

Thanks for the feedback, my husband had similar comments...so ya, I'm not sure what the vision is. More fly by the seat of my....

I would like to have some emergent plants around the branches coming out. Maybe if the tank was rimless it would be a better effect. I kinda want a riparian style with planted for the fish....and I like branches :) 

I'll find the tanks that I'm melding together. Wood is from "blooms and branches "  the white is manzanita and the dark is grapewood burl. Wow does that have tannins!

dobergoat

I wonder if I just copy an image URL?

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i257/crazydaz/10-24-12/Front1.jpg

Cool that worked.

I likes this look the best, I don't like the air plants though, well a little but not alot.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i257/crazydaz/10-24-12/LeftSide.jpg

And this one is cool
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/1d/5a/51/1d5a519856784fea8bcdde401c0e1503.jpg

And then somehow want to incoperate this idea with plants that would climb up on the wood, and on rafts so not planted into the substrate. The burl wood thingy also has a platform at the back that I could attach plants to.
http://ripariumsupply.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/21-XI-08-tank-II-600-promo.jpg

Was suppose to check water paramaters tonight, but can't find my test kits...Did a 40g waterchange/addition. And found out my other piece of wood might be to big. It's still soaking so once it's waterlogged I'll try and get it in. You need lots of wood.

mm

I see what you are going for but there are two things that are not working so well. First, as you mentioned, the rim ruins a bit the effect. Second, the lights should be hanging above the branches. I would fill the tank to the top (if you are keeping angels they might appreciate the added depth) and i would suspend the lights above the tank (not sure if those lights would be strong enough though). Just my 2 cents.

charlie

One of the things I that may not be helping in achieving your goal is the branchy wood out of the tank, it`s too busy & takes the attention away from the display, if you look at your inspiration the wood is not as busy above the tank.
Errol

dobergoat

Thank you everyone for the feedback!

I was thinking of suspending the lights, but since the tank is 24" tall already I was worried my light would not penetrate to the bottom. The light would have to be another 10 inches up at least to be over the branches. Please remember this is a low tech tank :) Only using the one light. I don't think raising the light will keep the plants alive. I also would like to add some chain swords or something along the bottom.

The room also gets alot of natural light during the day ( when the tank will be viewed) especially in the right corner. All the pictures Ive taken are at night when I'm working on it so little people do't throw rocks into it and stuff "helpin".... So from a distance ( long room) the branches coming out draw you to the tank and I like the contraxt against the grey walls.

But I do agree the branches are to busy, it's not balenced there is to much sticking out and not enough in the water to balence it. I'll take one bunch out and then see how it looks. Maybe trim it back a bit - scared that I'll mess it up!

I wonder if having one in the tank, and one out will balence more... I have another big piece of wood that is suppose to be added to the base of the other one to make it look more like tree roots.

much to think about.

Once this is done I'm going to redo my 40g, I think for that one I'll have more of a plan :) rather then changing it once the water is in.

Oh and the tank will be filled to the rim. I only filled half way to make it easier to do 50-100% water changes for the first week incase the soil is giving off anything bad.

Got Fish?

Put your wood in the dish washer on a rinse cycle. It will help make your wood sink nice and easy.