New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

ich on my flame angel

Started by fish finatic, January 25, 2015, 11:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fish finatic

i just added my flame angel into my 35 gallon fowlr tank. today he is showing white spots or in other words ich. what is the most effective way to treat this parasite? please respond fast. i would rather not have him die. do i need to treat my other inhabitants too?

Stussi613

As long as you don't have any shrimp you can treat with copper, as per the directions on the bottle.  If you do have shrimp it will kill them, so either they, or the fish need to go in a separate tank for treatment.
I haz reef tanks.

Mishtay

Don't bother with Ick meds honestly..... Turn your heat up in your tank past 82 degrees, the ick parasite cannot survive past that heat, killing it off competely.

az

you can not put copper in tank with liverock and you can not raise temp to 82 and kill every fish in there.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

Salt

Quarantine if possible and treat with meds, and then reintroduce.  Also make sure to acclimate him slowly using drip method to limit stress.

Fingers crossed

s7even

You could also try feeding Metro...(I use the Seachem)

fish finatic

Unfortunately 20 minutes after he showed ick he died. Thanks for your help though.

s7even

Mike L

I'm confused. This thread started in January and is now active with a dead fish and nothing in between. What gives. I'm assuming that a flame angel is a salt fish. No. I have never seen a fish die from freshwater ick in 20 minutes. Are we being played here.

s7even

I've seen oto cats die within 15 minutes of ick hitting the tank...
No play...

fish finatic

No I'm not playing you. When ick hits a saltwater fish especially when the fish is a new member of the tank it can kill very quickly.

Mike L

Wow shows my ignorance. I've never had a fish die from ich. With cichlids just turn the temp up to 81 and it dies away. I believe salt fish don't like water at that temp though is that correct.

Stussi613

Mike, one fish with ich can wipe out an entire saltwater tanks livestock. It's the reason a lot of reefers use quarantine tanks and are very careful about where they buy fish. You'll see people going into the LFS and inspecting fish and asking for them to be fed, just so they can take them home and sit them in a QT for a few weeks before putting them in their display tank.
I haz reef tanks.

Mike L

That I can certainly appreciate Stuart. With the price your paying for what you are putting in the tank it makes sense. I quarantine all my fish as well because while I likely don't pay what salty's pay for fish,buying wild caught still runs enough to warrant the precautions. You have kept both cichlids and salt. Have you had ich with cichlids and can you compare the devastations.  As I said I had no idea since my experience is never having lost one provided it doesn't go long undetected. You can almost P!$$ in an African cichlid tank and they would be fine.