New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New LED fixture

Started by Peekay, January 26, 2015, 05:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peekay

Hey guys!
Looking at LED for a 15G of my own.. any updates on how you like them or if you've tried a particular one?

Salt

Evergrow IT 2040 GREAT light and should you ever want to go bigger ...40g  It will work for you as well.

2 years running on my nano 30g. 

exv152

I've been using a TMC 1500 grobeam and really like it. For your tank size I would suggest the TMC 600
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/ld-ar1301/GroBeam+600+Ultima+LED+Light+Strip+%28Natural+Daylight%29.html. Either that or a finnex, which you'll have to go down to the States to get since no one sells them in Canada anymore. There are others like BML or ecoxotic but they're a bit pricey.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Hello , nice to see you still around us  :).
The lights Eric suggested are great without the fancy toys of the Current brand, I use the TMC 1500 ultima on a 15 gallon and it is way more intensity than I need for this tank, as a result I keep it some 10 inches above the surface , Eric is correct the TMC 600 strip will do nicely, of course it depends on what you want to grow.
Amazon com will ship the Finnex to Canada.
Errol

Peekay

Thanks for the replies! Charlie, of course I'm going to check in. If you're going to use the internet for info, it's important to trust the source.

I was considering that grobeam... price is certainly right. Thanks for the feedback.

As with the last tank, looking to keep it on the low-med light range, growing nothing too demanding.

daworldisblack

Brenda! Good to see you on here - hopefully not too late :) I have heard good things from these guys here re the Grobeam but I also have the Current Satellite and Satellite Plus. The former is pretty low light and grows ferns and mosses fine in my 15 Gallon. I had the Sat plus over my 20Gal Tall and it got my Rotala. Rotundifolia and Rotala Vietnam red at the tops. For a shorter 15Gal tank, it'd be low-medium-ish I'd say. You can dim it down otherwise. The Sat plus is 'older' in the world of everu-updated LED lights so its not too badly priced. Kensfish's is where i got mine: http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/aquarium-lighting/current-satellite-plus-freshwater-led-24-36-inch.html . You can even raise it up and it'll do well for ya I think!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

angelcraze

Quote from: charlie on January 27, 2015, 05:08:40 PM
Amazon com will ship the Finnex to Canada.
Errol

What, what, WHAT??  I have to check that out!!!!
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!

daworldisblack

Quote from: angelcraze on January 28, 2015, 03:23:47 PM
What, what, WHAT??  I have to check that out!!!!

I think there may be a premium fee for getting it across the border though and ouf the exchange rate.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

angelcraze

Ya, the dollar is BRUTAL right now!!
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!

exv152

Not the dollar so much as the UPS brokerage fees & duties you get dinged with, and it's not always clear from amazon what method of shipping is being used. Unless you can confirm they're using US postal service, I wouldn't bother.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on January 28, 2015, 06:41:01 PM
Not the dollar so much as the UPS brokerage fees & duties you get dinged with, and it's not always clear from amazon what method of shipping is being used. Unless you can confirm they're using US postal service, I wouldn't bother.
Good point.