New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Check valves on CO2 feed

Started by wolfiewill, January 29, 2015, 08:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zolta

Quote from: wolfiewill on February 06, 2015, 03:16:26 PM
This looks promising. Thanks Keith. Do you use them? And what is the telephone number at the end? A local supplier?

That is their local outlet in Nepean, i use their stuff it is really precise, a tad pricey though however it will last forever.
65 gal tall planted

wolfiewill

Thanks Keith, I'm going to take an air check valve in and see what they suggest. Have you got any on your CO2 line?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

zolta

I decided to go with a new check valve from Swagelok.  I cannot afford stainless steel so it'll have to be brass.  The check valve is about $25 and the part number is B-2C2-1/3.  The tube fitting b-400-7-2, are about 4 bucks each.  The nice thing about these is as I upgrade my regulator, (the next piece is a Sawgelok needle valve) they are easily threaded together.
65 gal tall planted

charlie

Quote from: zolta on March 06, 2015, 08:53:09 AM
I decided to go with a new check valve from Swagelok.  I cannot afford stainless steel so it'll have to be brass.  The check valve is about $25 and the part number is B-2C2-1/3.  The tube fitting b-400-7-2, are about 4 bucks each.  The nice thing about these is as I upgrade my regulator, (the next piece is a Sawgelok needle valve) they are easily threaded together.
Good choice Keith

exv152

Quote from: zolta on March 06, 2015, 08:53:09 AMI decided to go with a new check valve from Swagelok.  I cannot afford stainless steel so it'll have to be brass.  The check valve is about $25 and the part number is B-2C2-1/3.  The tube fitting b-400-7-2, are about 4 bucks each.  The nice thing about these is as I upgrade my regulator, (the next piece is a Sawgelok needle valve) they are easily threaded together.

Nice choice indeed Keith. That's a pretty fancy check valve, push connect & soon to be needle valve, for a Milwaukee regulator. Maybe it's time to switch to a dual stage regulator?
;)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

zolta

Quote from: exv152 on March 06, 2015, 03:53:17 PM
Nice choice indeed Keith. That's a pretty fancy check valve, push connect & soon to be needle valve, for a Milwaukee regulator. Maybe it's time to switch to a dual stage regulator?
;)

Dual stage presently is beyond my means, but i am hoping over time to get mine in a place  that is reasonably accurate and safe.  I figure by starting from the output end and moving inward that in time it will be all good
65 gal tall planted

charlie

Quote from: zolta on March 06, 2015, 10:57:30 PM
Dual stage presently is beyond my means, but i am hoping over time to get mine in a place  that is reasonably accurate and safe.  I figure by starting from the output end and moving inward that in time it will be all good
Keith ,what would be within  your means?, just curious, as I often see deals  ;).
Also an affordable & just as good needle valve is the Fabco NV-55-18, before the dollar diving it was available for 30 CDN + a few bucks for shipping from Toronto.
Errol

zolta

Quote from: charlie on March 07, 2015, 02:49:18 PM
Keith ,what would be within  your means?, just curious, as I often see deals  ;).
Also an affordable & just as good needle valve is the Fabco NV-55-18, before the dollar diving it was available for 30 CDN + a few bucks for shipping from Toronto.
Errol

Errol,
Who in Toronto supplies the Fabco products?  I only get their USA address when i Google them

thanks

Keith
65 gal tall planted

exv152

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

http://sempress.ca/
It`s the Fabco NV 55 -18 & you need to let them know it`s for an aquarium, they are good  to our hobby :)

wolfiewill

Quote from: charlie on February 04, 2015, 04:50:21 PM
Greg did this happen when there was gas in the bottle?
If I`m understanding you correctly the water back siphoned & got through 2 check valves , in line CV & the CV in the bubble counter?

Good point about their being gas in the bottle, but I don't remember now, but I think there was, but there was only one check valve 'cause the Milwaukee bubble counters don't appear to have a check valve.

And I've done some more research on this and it's not correct to say that the water siphons back into the tubing - the water actually dissolves the CO2 that fills the tubing, and displaces the CO2 volume in the tubing as it dissolves- little difference really except that positioning the cv is not a factor - head down or up or horizontal shouldn't matter. I've now got 4 Dennerle from J&L Aquatics (those guys are great! - special ordered for me) and four from GLA. All designed for CO2. I also bought tubing for CO2 as well, so, I'm going to replace all my old tubing and cvs. The only stipulation from GLA was to place the cvs as near the tank as possible. I've done my 300 and the tubing was brittle, and the cvs in one line (of 3) had already failed.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

charlie

Quote from: zolta on March 06, 2015, 08:53:09 AM
I decided to go with a new check valve from Swagelok.  I cannot afford stainless steel so it'll have to be brass.  The check valve is about $25 and the part number is B-2C2-1/3.  The tube fitting b-400-7-2, are about 4 bucks each.  The nice thing about these is as I upgrade my regulator, (the next piece is a Sawgelok needle valve) they are easily threaded together.
If anyone else is looking for check vales , here is an option, shipping for a lot 5 is 23.00 US, they are 1/8 FNPT & a cracking pressure of 1/2 PSI
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-CLIPPARD-MINIMATICS-MJCV1-CHECK-VALVES-18-IN-PORT-/251874163061

zolta

A few months ago I bought a Swagelok brass check valve the B-2C2-1/3.  Last night I noticed my bubble counter full of water.  The check valve failed.  I am now using a $2.99 plastic one until i I figure out a longer term solution.  I guess the lesson here is, even with good money spent on stuff that is supposed to last forever (Swagelok's comment to me) it doesn't.
65 gal tall planted

lucius

Two check valves with a loop in between is still working well for me.