New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

so..... any thoughts or suggestions?

Started by Lexx, January 30, 2015, 07:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lexx

I can't get a 75g right at the moment. So I'm thinking of a smaller tank for a male Betta and some shrimp, or a couple female Betta and some shrimp! I'm also hoping to have some live plants!
I know what the requirements for a Betta are. I'm a little ignorant towards the shrimp though!
I'm thinking Red Cherry Shrimp as I believe they are a good beginner Shrimp?
Is there a size per Shrimp equation? Do they do better in groups? What size of tank should I look for? Would a starter kit suffice or would I be better off piecing together a setup?
I would think that the lights in a starter kit would not be the best for plants? And that the filter might not be the best in a kit. Hmmm, starting to think I already know the answer to this question.
I'm open to suggestions on kits or separate pieces or even certain stores that have particular things at better prices? Or if someone can help me with some of these pieces or livestock send me a pm!

Thanks
Morgan

mm

Hmmm ... the shrimp could end up being an expensive meal for the bettas ...

missavgp

Your betta will eat some of the shrimp. I have a male with my cherry shrimp, but with have so many shrimp he can't make a dent in the numbers. You would need to get enough shrimp to start with that they can get breeding before he gets too aggressive with them. The up side is he will always have a food source.
Mom of boys. Less drama than girls, but harder to keep alive

Lexx

In that case would I be better off with a 10g? Or would like a 5g with some sort of cover that the shrimp could hide with?

mm

Lots of java moss at the bottom would help by providing some coverage. You can also use some cholla branches (http://www.shrimpfever.com/shop/?s=Cholla) it would double as shelter and a source of food for the shrimp. CJ had some nice rimless tanks at an affordable price. I think a 5 gallon would do.  Wrt lights an ikea desktop lamp (around $15)   with a led 60 watts equivalent bulb (can get that at homedepot) would do the trick. For filtration you could get a small sponge filter on amazon http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Sponge+filter or a small hang-on filter. The betta would appreciate a mini aqueon heater. http://www.petsmart.ca/supplies/heaters/aqueon-mini-aquarium-heater-zid36-16560/cat-36-catid-300076?var_id=36-16560&_t=pfm%3Dsearch

Lexx

Thanks for the suggestions! Do you know if any local shops have the cholla? It seems like a waste paying shipping for just one item! Although there are a few other things I might be interested in.

Lexx

Well it appears I have found just about everything I need! Thanks again Charlie, for your offer and showing me that beautiful 79g you've created.

I guess I'm just looking for that certain Betta now!

Morgan

mm

Good to hear. Please post pictures of the new setup.

Lexx

Haha, there might already be some on here? I bought the 5.5g Charlie had for sale.

mm

Lexx

Well almost easy! Now I just have to figure out all the test readings and if I should do something about them? How often I should be testing PH/KH/GH/UpperPH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrates? Also if I need to cycle it before getting my Betta? There's 20 CRS in it now, and I think some baby snails?

Morgan

mm

Morgan, is your mind completely set on getting a betta? Have you considered getting a school of small fish like the chili rasboras http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/custom/images/large/4bb48077c6a5d.jpg or rasbora maculatus http://www.aquabase.org/member/album/pictures/CC7DDDF676747B904AFC74FE4BB3D7B2_full.jpg ? I saw some at Critter Jungle. I think they could coexist more peacefully with the CRS and they like similar water parameters.

Lexx

Well, not fully set! I do like the Bettas a lot though! Maybe I should post my water parameters and see where that leaves me?

On start up(yesterday)
KH 12°
GH 304.3
PH 7.8
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0

24hrs later
KH 6°
GH 232.7
PH 7.8
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0

mm

What water source are you using? Is it from a well? That waters is too hard to be  Ottawa tap water.

Also, I don't understand how your KH and GH could drop so much in 24 hours. Furthermore, the pH didn't change? Are you sure you are measuring things properly? Those numbers are not making sense to me.

That water would be way too hard to keep CRS.

Lexx

It's not well water nor is it Ottawa water. I live in Kemptville, so its Kemptville water. I followed the instructions for all the tests? I see where the confusion is. I used the wrong abbreviation. I meant RCS.

mm

Morgan -

Here is another fish suggestion for you:

Pseudomugil furcatus (Forktail Blue Eye)
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pseudomugil-furcatus/

It is a beautiful fish, you could keep a few in a 5 gallon, it would do well in your water parameters, and it likes a well planted tank.They were also available at CJ. I think the Red Cherry Shrimp would also be safer than with a Betta.

Also, for your information here is a citation from the 2013 North Grenville water quality report.
"The North Grenville water supply system consists of 3 separate groundwater wells
located within the urban core (Kemptville). These pump stations are on Alfred Street, Van Buren Street, and Kernahan Street. The water is treated at the well heads with sodium hypochlorite (disinfection) before it enters the distribution system."

Unfortunately, the report does not contain much useful information to help understand the chemistry of your water.

Good luck!

Lexx

Maybe I will just hold off and see where everything stabilizes and start looking for something based on those parameters? Thanks for the info and help though! I'll keep posting parameters till they level off.

lucius

Quote from: Lexx on February 04, 2015, 06:34:46 PM
Haha, there might already be some on here? I bought the 5.5g Charlie had for sale.

Since your tank is only a 5.5g, maybe you can get your water from someone in Ottawa and store it in a Rubbermaid tote with a heater.  You can transport the water with one of those water cooler jugs.

Lexx

I'm was just rereading the Ottawa PH topic. And I now wonder if my PH will be OK once it lowers? Should it not lower in 24-48hrs? Also if it does will it be 1.2 like most in Ottawa see, or is it variable? Also if it does drop I could always pick up another small tank or container and pre fill it so the PH has lowered by the time I'm ready to add it? So much to learn, but that's all part of the fun!

mm

As I mentioned, it is hard to make sense of your water parameters. Being groundwater it is not surprising that both KH and GH would be that high. But I am having difficulty understanding why those values would drop that much in 24 hours and how come the pH is only 7.8. Are you using a high-range pH test? I find it difficult to believe that with a KH of 6 or 12 you would get a pH of only 7.8 (I would expect it to be in the range 8.0-8.3). Would you mind getting a glass of water from the tap and re-doing the KH, GH and high-range pH tests?

Even if your water is hard that is not a problem. You should just try to find fish that do well under those conditions. There are many small fish suitable for a 5.5. gallon to choose from (the ones I suggested above, guppies, endlers, etc will appreciate the harder water). Your cherries are pretty adaptable so they might also be ok.