New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Red Cherry Shrimp Fry

Started by neon1423, February 10, 2015, 04:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neon1423

So I have a heavly planted tank with a carpet of Baby tears and dwarf hair grass. I have a small army of red cherry shrimp I bought from a freind to help keep my alge under control. I found today when I was trimming the plants some small shrimp fry. I'm no stranger to breeding, I've breed everything from plattys to angelfish, but I've never done shrimp before. Is there anything I should know about keeping them alive and promiting future spawns?

lucius

During water changes, you will have to pay more attention to what you suck out and throw the cherry shrimp you do remove back into the tank.  It's sounds easy but they cling to practically everything when there is no water.

bergenm

I would pour my waste water through a net and then empty the contents of the net into a clear container of tank water... the next morning there would be a bunch of babies running around... the fun is catching them.

As for the tank, lots of hiding spots and a sponge over the filter intake.
Michael

exv152

I've found if you provide stable water parameters and a good supply of food, and you already have a female and male, they'll do the rest. One of the easiest things in a aquarium to breed IME. If you find exoskeletons that's a good sign of healthy shrimp, as they need to molt to grow.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

wrm130

If you don't already have some sort of cover for your filter inlet I'd get one asap!