New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

converted back to FW :)

Started by sniggir, February 17, 2015, 12:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sniggir

Never thought it would happen but I have come back to FW after better part of 9years of SW... getting back to my african chiclids! I wanted to share my fondness of these fish with my kids so starting with 90 gal with 90gal sump will post pics soon!
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

charlie

Quote from: sniggir on February 17, 2015, 12:20:25 PM
Never thought it would happen but I have come back to FW after better part of 9years of SW... getting back to my african chiclids! I wanted to share my fondness of these fish with my kids so starting with 90 gal with 90gal sump will post pics soon!
At the end of the day it`s a glass box with water & fish  ;) Welcome back to the hobby .
Errol

bitterman

Welcome back. can't wait for pics!

Bruce

sniggir

TY Bruce and Errol, went to BA today to pick up some fish, the pet Smart to see if selection was any better.... looks like I will be doing a Fish order in near future.... only Tang's were at BA and just julies and brachardi..... sigh
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently

bitterman

I have not seen much if any orders in at BA. You can special order but really pay for that. As you can see the cichlid section is about 1/2 or less what it used to be as peoples interest in the hobby has shifted.

If you are after fish Spencer Jack might be an option. You could do a group order.

Regards,
  Bruce

sniggir

Bruce you read my mind I have already been lookin threw his list and I am going to e-mail him about some specifics I am looking for.... but was so suprised too see that the selection was so small.... ah well...lol.my girls like the yellow labs...... :-[

Stussi613

I know that Got Fish? can probably get you stuff on his weekly orders as well, but I'm not sure if his suppliers would have the same selection as Spencer Jack!!

One of the reasons I switched from Cichlids to Saltwater was that I just couldn't find any of the male haps and peacocks I was looking for and buying them and having them shipped here was really expensive.  I know that it's kind of a joke to pay as much as we pay for saltwater fish and complain about the prices of cichlids, but it really hurts to see a fish listed at $4.95 and know you're paying 3-4 times that cost per fish in shipping charges to get it here.
I haz reef tanks.

Mike L

As most know I have been trying for group order from Quebec cichlid. I like the selection from spencer jack but they are expensive. I have dealt with Quebec cichlid on 2 occasions with very satisfying service. Place order pay next day shipped and at my door by afternoon. They even called to let me know when the order was picked up and on it's way
Regardless I have been told by both that shipping this winter has been limited due to the cold. All Quebec cichlid orders are coming from local breeders that are breeding wild caught and selling the f-1s. I have tried for Tanganyikans from Dave at got fish but his suppliers are strictly common Malawians. So I am patiently waiting for warmer weather.
Richelle at Quebec cichlid has my email and list of fish I want and will call when they are coming in but only once the weather warms a bit. At that time I will be organizing a group order.
Regards Mike

Al

If you're looking for tanganyikans, Spencer jack and fanatics are options for Ottawa fishkeepers wanting to stay in Canada , as well as Québec cichlids. SFTL - straight from the lake, in Ajax is also very good with some rare stuff, Gus is the man. If you want to order out of the US, daves rare fish is very good and you can have them shipped to Ogdensburg within 24-48 hrs. That's IF you are looking for rare stuff and don't mind paying for selection and quality. If you want $5 fish, don't bother.

sniggir

Mike I am open to all, if there is a group order with Quebec fish I will look them up... Al ty will have to check out the rare fish as for some I would like WC and some specific Tangyinician Varieties....lol just got out of SW what is a 5$ fish  8) altho 12$ for yellow labs.... :-\ but kids are happy with them :-*

sas

Welcome back Pat  and back to FW!
Looking forward to seeing what you end up doing.

sniggir

I do have a cool 5 stage DIY canistar filter that I will be making and posting up :)

Mike L

To be open on where to buy. I have used only Q/C in the past and have a gift certificate I received from my wife so I'm kind of stuck going there as it's for $100.00. I have heard good thing about all the places Al suggested but wanted to be clear about my bias.
Mike

sniggir

I looked them up mike and they have a decent selection..also looked threw your gallery we have very similar likes for fish...and tank style set up .... I cant wait till summer when I can get some nice rock... :P

sanny

Count me in for the group order for Quebec Cichlids.

Al

sniggir,
maybe I'm telling you stuff you already know but on the rock front - definitely try cohen and cohen - they have a great variety of landscape rock available - from sandstone, to chick rock to you name it - lava rock, slates, etc. The pricing is mostly around 20 cents/pound, so for 20-30 bucks, you can get a lot of rock - actually 100 pounds ;<) - and the nice thing is you can keep everything colored the same, match with your sand, etc - and you can choose small pieces, or some very large pieces like 50-75 pounders that make a real statement in the right sized tank !! anyways, definitely the way to go if you're going to purchase.
Good hunting

ajm1961

Another place I found for rock is Merkley's on Bayview Rd. I picked up a lot of good sized slate as a stable building block for raising up a wall of rock for cichlids. Again, price was somewhere in the .20 to .50 a pound range.

Keep us posted on your progress.
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

sniggir

Thx guys I was thinking about checking out some of the quarries and I bet cohen is prob open... would save time copared to waiting out winter and go rock hunting on building sights :)