New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

30 ppm of co2 and tanks size

Started by nemo14, February 22, 2015, 03:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nemo14

Hello everyone !

Just a quick question anyone with 150 gallon tank or bigger can you tell me how long your leaving your co2 on to reach 30 ppm of co2 in your tank. Why i ask is because i bought a ISTA MAX MIX CO2 reactor (M) size to replace a bubble ladder witch it thought was a wast of co2 because i was leaving it on for 11 hours a day to reach my 30 ppm but i see no difference between the two of them still need to run 11 hours a day with a bubble count of 4 bps. I thought the reactor would use less because it mixes all co2 before its let out into the tank unlike the bubble ladder uses most of the co2 then theirs always that bubble that floats to the top without being dissolved. I read everywhere that people turn on their co2 2 hours before the light comes on. Now ether they have a smaller tank and it build up faster in a smaller tank than mine. My tank is balanced well with the 11 hours everything looks ok but i just thought that if i got a reactor it would save me on co2 and i could run it say 2 to 3 hours before the lights come on instead of 8 hours before lights come on. Using a good pressurized co2 system.

Thanks in advance

charlie

nemo14

I would love to be there but i work 12 hours shifts and im working night this week. But something tells me that if i wasn't working it would be worth the hour drive up. I will get to a few of the meeting one day i hope.

exv152

Quote from: nemo14 on February 22, 2015, 03:26:07 PM
I read everywhere that people turn on their co2 2 hours before the light comes on. Now ether they have a smaller tank and it build up faster in a smaller tank than mine. My tank is balanced well with the 11 hours everything looks ok but i just thought that if i got a reactor it would save me on co2 and i could run it say 2 to 3 hours before the lights come on instead of 8 hours before lights come on. Using a good pressurized co2 system.

I run a medium ista mix max on a 25g tank. Based on the filter flow recommendation it works well with an eheim 2213 which has a flow of 116 gph. I can't imagine using the same size reactor on a 150g tank, it would take a forever to reach optimal co2 levels. There is a large version ista that works with a filter flow of 264-528 gph. Maybe two of those on separate canister filters would do the job, but I'd still turn the co2 on 1 to 2 hours prior to the lights. CO2 is one of the biggest challenges in  planted tanks, and the bigger size tank you go, the tougher it is to reach the optimal levels.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

What are you driving the reactor with?
Have you tried increasing your bubble count?
Do you have any turbulence on the surface that may be out gassing co2?
Can you post a picture of the set up.
Regards

nemo14

Hello Charlie!

The reactor that i'm using is the ISTA MAX MIX CO2 reactor (M) size on a Aqua clear 70 Power Head and the out put is without air: 1514 L / 400 U.S. Gal. per hour i use this inside my tank because the reviews that i seen say that they can leak sometimes so i didn't want to take a chance. I just thought it would take the same bubble count as the bubble ladder but be more effective because its a reactor with no waste. i will try increasing the bubble count slowly and see what happens then i can readjust my timer. I do have a little bit of water movement with two other Aqua clear 70 Power Head in the tank. I will try and take a picture  to show you my set up. I will post pictures it on my profile

nemo14

Hello Charlie!

More pictures of my set up.

charlie

It appears you have 2 Canisters on that tank?
I would try shutting down one of the Power heads & reduce the ripple.
Also, you might want to try reducing the output from the PH driving the reactor ( I think are adjustable)
These are things you can try one at a time not all together.
Increase bubble count
reduce flow from powerhead driving the reactor
Reduce ripple at surface ( Not sure how much is "I do have a little bit of water movement ) but it`s quite possible you are outgassing faster than you can dissolve CO2.
Regards

nemo14

Hey Charlie!

The power head that drives my reactor is on the lowest it will go i think the power head is to strong for that size of reactor i might buy the same reactor but the large one instead of the medium one.

The water movement at the surface is just to say it's moving because i have my other power heads down low to remove dead spot in the tank and to make sure that the fertilizers get mixed around the tank.

I also noticed that my co2 bubble counter check valve was almost stuck closed no mater how much i open the co2 regulator the bubble count stayed the same. will buy another one.

Will try a few of the suggestions one at a time and see what happens.

Thanks Charlie for all the help.

exv152

The recommended flow for the med ista mix max reactor is 95-264 gph, and the large unit is 264-528 gph.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Nemo, how are you measuring your CO2 saturation?

nemo14

Hey Charlie!

I measure my co2 saturation with two drop checkers one at each end of the tank. as well i have a  pin point P.H meter with a co2 chart.  the two drop checkers are a light green so i know i have around 24 to 30 ppm of co2 in the tank.

charlie

Quote from: nemo14 on February 24, 2015, 07:53:50 PM
Hey Charlie!

I measure my co2 saturation with two drop checkers one at each end of the tank. as well i have a  pin point P.H meter with a co2 chart.  the two drop checkers are a light green so i know i have around 24 to 30 ppm of co2 in the tank.
Good stuff, BTW what solution are you using in the drop checker?

nemo14

Hey Charlie!

I'm using 4dkh solution that i bought.

nemo14

Hello Charlie!

Thanks for the reply!

Well i got 3 bps now running for 11 hours.

What i would like to know if i run at 3 bps for 11 hours or 8 bps for 2 hours is it better to drop the P.H slowly over 11 hour. I think this would have less impact on the fish. Both ways will result in 30 ppm of co2 saturation. What do you think would be better for the fish? I know i read that they say that when co2 is injected into the aquarium the P.H fluctuation has no ill effect on the fish because it's not a chemical that being added to the aquarium.

I would like to know what you think.:D

charlie

Quote from: nemo14 on February 28, 2015, 07:55:53 AM
Hello Charlie!

Thanks for the reply!

Well i got 3 bps now running for 11 hours.

What i would like to know if i run at 3 bps for 11 hours or 8 bps for 2 hours is it better to drop the P.H slowly over 11 hour. I think this would have less impact on the fish. Both ways will result in 30 ppm of co2 saturation. What do you think would be better for the fish? I know i read that they say that when co2 is injected into the aquarium the P.H fluctuation has no ill effect on the fish because it's not a chemical that being added to the aquarium.

I would like to know what you think.:D
More importantly you want your co2 saturation to be around 20-30 PPM range when your lights  come on, as the plants photosynthesise co2 will deplete & your saturation should be catching up.
It is said plants do the bulk of their uptake in the first 2-3 hrs of light.
Regards