New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Suggestions for 36" LED lighting fixture?

Started by Fletch, February 28, 2015, 08:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fletch

I'm hoping I can get some advice. I currently have a 36" tank (12" deep, 18" high) with the original light fixture, which has a single 24" 20W T8 bulb (see photo). I did replace the bulb a couple weeks ago (just got everything a month ago) but even my java moss seems to be dying. The fish look nice when the room is fairly dark, but obviously I am not getting a lot of light. Also, when fish are at the front of the tank near the top, they are in shadow, so the light spread is really bad.
I would like to be able to grow low - medium light plants, but I don't want to mess around with CO2 and stuff as I am a beginner.
Anyway, I have around $200 to spend on lighting and have been looking at a few different fixtures. I would prefer to go LED as there doesn't seem to be a huge price difference between T5 HOs and LEDs, and then there is the price savings on replacement bulbs and power consumption. I also have little kids and don't want anything that gets too hot.
1. At first I was thinking of the Zoomed Aquasun 36-48", but a lot of people have said it isn't great for plants. No timer or anything either.
2. Then there is the Current USA LED plus fixture. It seems kind of cool, but kind of gimmicky with the remote control and all the weird options. Plus, again, I've heard some say it's not too powerful.
3. The other one I have been thinking about is the Aquatic Life Edge LED. The 36" model seems to be very powerful (it consumes 48 watts, but I'm not sure of the lumen output) and has pretty cool timer settings (sunrise, sunset) but as far as I know, no simple on-off switch which is kind of dumb. I'm a bit worried it might be too powerful as there doesn't seem to be a dimmer.
4. I have heard good stuff about the Finnex Ray 2, but I'm a bit leery about ordering from the US.

So what do the experts say? :-)

ajm1961

I'm no plant expert, but I own a ZooMed AquaSun fixture that I won at last year's Giant Auction (or should I say my wife won!). It is a double T5 HO,  24" length. It provides ample light for my planted tank - so much so that I've had to shut off one of the bulbs at times to control green algae growth. I also like the way it flips open to gain more access to the top of the tank. Overall, I like the results and its look.

That being said, you cannot control each of the bulbs through a controller (no separate plugs). Also the fixture doesn't clamp well on a rimless top - it is too wide.

Also this fixture's power consumption - two 24 watt bulbs - is likely more than an equivalent LED set-up.
I'm also interested in seeing other people's suggestions for an LED lighting fixture for planted tanks, and how it has worked for them.

SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

Fletch

Well after doing lots more reading - including this very helpful thread from the OVAS forums ( http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=57107.0 ), I am starting to lean toward getting one Grobeam Ultima 600. They are only about 20" long, but I think that for my needs one of these would allow me to grow low-med light plants in my tank, and possibly even higher light plants immediately beneath it. The warranty can't be beat and the build quality seems to be very good.
If anyone has any experience with this I'd be very interested to hear before I pull the trigger. Nobody in Ottawa seems to have it in stock, so I'm looking at J&L Aquatics.

Salt

Well Im outspoken about these! 

Evergrow it2080!

:-)

Evergrow all the way for any tank.

Fletch

Hi Salt.
The Evergrow looks nice, but kind of out of my price range.
I also see that Amazon.com ships Finnex to Canada. A 36" Ray 2 is $138 USD, while a 36" Fugeray is $102 USD (although for some reason the Fugeray 36 doesn't ship to Canada, while the 30" does . . . ??). Even with exchange and shipping, these would be in my price range.
Decisions!

wolfiewill

Quote from: Fletch on March 02, 2015, 12:56:12 PM
Well after doing lots more reading - including this very helpful thread from the OVAS forums ( http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=57107.0 ), I am starting to lean toward getting one Grobeam Ultima 600. They are only about 20" long, but I think that for my needs one of these would allow me to grow low-med light plants in my tank, and possibly even higher light plants immediately beneath it. The warranty can't be beat and the build quality seems to be very good.
If anyone has any experience with this I'd be very interested to hear before I pull the trigger. Nobody in Ottawa seems to have it in stock, so I'm looking at J&L Aquatics.

I've got many of these and you are definitely on the right track. And J&L are the only Canadian supplier, and they have great customer service and there return policy is world class (take a picture of it and they'll send another if it fails and is under warrantee). For a medium light tank, no CO2 and minimum fertilization, with very little fuss and maintenance, you'll be pleased. The really big difference between florescent lighting and LED is the limiting of the green-yellow light spectrums with which algae thrive. This is really important for a tank with no CO2 and lower than high light. I have a tank here (25 g; 12" to the substrate) with two GroBeam 600s (called a 'duo'), no CO2, and Fluval Stratum substrate (very important in this case). It's the easiest tank I have ever had for maintenance, and I think it looks great. I was using it as a farm tank but liked it so much I 'scaped it and left it. You are invited to come here and see it if you want, 'cause I haven't got around to taking pictures yet (it's actually not fully grown in yet). I fertilize with micros and Metricide (Exel) only. I've got crypts (3 types), Staurygns repens, Crinum calimistratum, and Java moss doing quite well.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Fletch

Hi Wolfie,

Well in fact I already got a single Grobeam 600. I've had it on the tank for about 10 days now. For a 12W LED, it is shocking how much brighter it is than my old 20W T8 bulb (and I realize that it is not as high in the yellow-green spectrum, which makes it appear less bright to the human eye).
Anyway, time will tell what will grow in there. At this point, I've got Java Moss in a bunch of places, some java ferns near the edges where the light is lower, and some cabomba near the back on one side (which was dying, but has just started a bunch of new sprouts). A few days ago I (optimistically) added some Lillaeopsis brasiliana (the Tropica 1-2-Grow stuff) in the middle right under the light. I'm also going to try some Rotala rotundifolia (getting it today) to see whether it will grow or not.
Of course, I'm reading more and more and getting tempted by things like Excel, but I really do want to keep things as low tech as I can, mainly for the stake of stability (what do people with high-tech tanks do when they go on holidays for 2 weeks?)
I also just have regular gravel, and a UGF (I know, I know . . .) but we'll see what happens. At least I'll learn something.
Also, I've only been running the Grobeam for a short photoperiod- I moved up to 7 hours a day a couple days ago. I just use the old T8 (which is really dim) for early morning and night viewing.
I'll try to post an update in a few weeks to show what is happening.

exv152

Quote from: Fletch on March 19, 2015, 08:36:19 AMwhat do people with high-tech tanks do when they go on holidays for 2 weeks?

Just reduce your lighting by like half the intensity, that way if you go away for a couple of weeks, you don't come back to an algae farm.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Jeff1192

I'm looking to upgrade my current T5HO setup on my 90 gallon cichlid tank this year. The lights were purchased for when my 90 was a high tech planted setup. I only run 2 bulbs in it now and for only about 6-7hrs a day or I get algae.

I'm looking at this fixture (Current USA LED Freshwater Plus Pro)

http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/satellite-led-fixtures/satellite-led-pro/

I almost bought the Freshwater Plus last year but doing research found out that one with a built in timer was coming out this year. The Pro is the plus with a timer and more intense lights. It's extremely customizable and has some pretty neat lighting effects too. It's got great reviews and would fit in your price range.
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

wolfiewill

Quote from: Fletch on March 19, 2015, 08:36:19 AM
(what do people with high-tech tanks do when they go on holidays for 2 weeks?)

For extended vacations, 2 to 4 weeks, I turn the photoperiod down to 3 hours per day. Some plants get leggy, but no algae issues.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain