New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Protein skimmer

Started by Mike62, March 01, 2015, 08:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike62

I am planning to convert a freshwater tank to salt, but due to financial constraints, it will be a slow process, with me adding things to the set up as I can afford them. The first two things to be added will be the salt to the water and the coral substrate, with perhaps the powerheads and maybe some liverock. The question here is, with no fish going into the tank for the foreseeable future, how important is the protein skimmer, or should it be one of the first things that gets added to the new tank?
Life is full of questions. Chocolate is the answer.

wayn496

If your just setting up the tank to cycle then you would not  need the skimmer yet.  If you have no live stock to produce waist, and your not going to adding any nutrients AKA feeding, then there would be little for the skimmer to remove. 
Besides, many people run fish only tanks with never having a skimmer.  Just a lot of water changes.  Skimmer is recommended though. ;)

What size is the tank you are converting? 

beertech

It is fine to wait for the skimmer. The most important thing right now is to get the system running and add as much live rock as your budget will allow.  Once you are finished with the initial cycle ( about 2-4 weeks), you can start adding cleanup crew and fish. Then get into a routine of maintenance that works for you in regards to testing and top ups and weekly water changes. The skimmer can be added at any point, and will basically just allow you to ease up on the water changes. Eventually I would suggest monthly or even bimonthly water changes should be fine.

Mike62

Life is full of questions. Chocolate is the answer.

Nienna

Quote from: Mike62 on March 02, 2015, 09:53:54 PM
What are people's views on something called a de-nitrator?
http://www.marinedepot.com/Korallin_BioDenitrator_w_Eheim_1048_Pump_Bio_Denitrators_Nitrate_Reactors-Korallin-KL9111K-FIFRISDN-vi.html
A useful item, or a rather expensive waste?
I'd recommend the thick block of this (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/marinepure-ceramic-biomedia-plate.html) instead - I've heard that they're even making the blocks shaped to look like live rock now.  David at Got Fish? sells them locally and he'd probably be willing to sell you a pre-seeded one (aka is alive with the bacteria).  Generally speaking I'd say you'd only need something like what you linked if your tank has a heavy load - all depends on what you want to have in your tank.

Mike L

I have given serious thought to using the thick blocks in my cichlid tanks as well. I spoke to someone at  cermedia and he said those using it in cichlid tanks have had great success lowering nitrates to negligible levels. Not cheap though.

Herstead

Cheaper compared to all the other options except lots of water changes.

- Jonathan
Current Set-Up: Mixed Reef 250g DT + 100g in Sump
Inhabitants: 2 Snowflake Clowns, 8 Bimac Anthias, 2 Mandarin Dragonets, Vigratus Rabbit Fish, Flame Angel, Purple Chromis, Atlantic Blue Tang, Sailfin Tang and lots of inverts.
Next Step: Set up controller and ATO. Really need to do this.

Mike L

I yes it is cheaper then other options but it would still cost me about $180.00 for my 2 larger tanks. I won't put a block that big in my 20 longs though.