New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Red Ramshorn Snails

Started by 101DalmatianMollies, March 23, 2015, 11:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

101DalmatianMollies

Hello Everybody!

Red rams horn snail explosion! Many minions!

That is all.

Have a great day!

101DalmatianMollies

::) I Just counted 90 eggs in my 10 gallon tank  ::)  :) Oh GOSH!

101DalmatianMollies

So I think I know why I've noticed so many egg deposits in my 10 gallon tank - I removed Alien (my large apple snail) and moved her into the 33 gallon where I thought she might be happier with more space. I had kind of overcrowded the 10 gallon I think.

After doing some reading, it may have been Alien that was keeping the population at a manageable level. Now with an impending population explosion on my hands (I mean granted I could just crush the egg sacks I see now and deal with what I can't see later LOL) I am looking for an alternative to Alien. Alien is just too big for the 10 gallon, seems MUCH happier with so much more room in the 33 gallon, I don't want to move her back.

This is supposed to be my bushynose pleco breeding tank. I have 3 already setup in there, just waiting for them to get older to show me what sexes they actually are, as they are too young to yet show any sexual dimorphism. Upon doing further reading, it appears that loaches are perhaps a good choice as a snail population manager.

What are your thoughts? I was looking at perhaps a dwarf loach vs. a clown loach, as from what small amount of reading I've done the clown may harass the pleco's too much. If I were to get a dwarf loach, would I need to get more than one? Or would the one I get school with the bushynose?

I've never had loaches before, they are indeed  a very neat looking species! I'd rather get something that will take care of the snail situation, without necessarily affecting the BN breeding situation.

Thanks in advance as always! :D

lucius

You can just cut back on your feeding a bit.  Not sure about ramshorn snails but placing a lettuce on the gravel works well at getting rid of pond snails.

101DalmatianMollies

The original snail was purposefully purchased lol. Didn't know that they reproduce like pond snails. I could put a couple of assassins in there... I mean they'd be quite outnumbered so it might keep the population low. I don't necessarily want to iradicate them, just manage the population.

rivermuse

Buy couple or just one assassin snails and watch them get eaten up.... and they are beautiful too.  (You can find sellers on kijiji or big als carry them)

101DalmatianMollies

Yup! Already done :) I put my 4 assassins in there and they cleaned house. I kept all the shells of the larger snails.  Now the tank is for my pleco breeding :)