New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Snails of awesome!

Started by 101DalmatianMollies, March 25, 2015, 08:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

101DalmatianMollies

I've discovered that I really like snails!

I dunno what it is about Alien, but I really like him. He looks like he may have been inspiration for Men In Black aliens.

Who else has fun snails that they like?

fishy friend

here are a few pictures of our snails.

101DalmatianMollies

Cool! How do you keep your apple snail well fed and happy? I find Alien always seems hungry and I want to provide her with enough alternatives to my plants!! Lol

fishy friend

A few times a week I add 1 or 2 Cobalt Aquatics algae wafers. I was feeding them every day but I guess this made them too full as they wouldn't eat the wafers and I  would end up with dirty water. Also, every few weeks I feed them blanched zucchini, which they seem to love.

George2

Quote from: 101DalmatianMollies on April 08, 2015, 10:31:33 AM
Cool! How do you keep your apple snail well fed and happy? I find Alien always seems hungry and I want to provide her with enough alternatives to my plants!! Lol

I agree. Snails are awesome and I can't imagine an aquarium without them.  :)  Have you considered Nerite snails? They won't eat your plants and are really good at eating algae.  (I've attached an image of one of mine.)

mysterysnail

So I have to say, Originally I hated the idea of snails. I always see them in massive groups in aquariums and find it looks dirty. So one day I go into Petsmart, and stumble on a black mystery snail cruising around an aquarium. Didn't remind me at all of the random blobs stuck to the glass that im used to seeing. I never knew they could move like that. The one I wanted was the largest and had the most personality, but since I was on my lunch break I decided to go back after work. When I went back the bugger was gone. so I keep looking around, and turns out he wasn't gone, just 3 tanks over. Girl told me they frequently move from tank to tank......
Sold - Now bob the snail is the most interesting things in my aquarium

lucius

I picked up two nerite snails for my goldfish tank a little while back and now the glass is crystal clear.

I've been thinking about doing the same for my other tank but I keep zebra and kubotai loaches in there.  Has anyone had issues keeping nerites and smaller loaches together?

101DalmatianMollies

Quote from: mysterysnail on August 12, 2015, 06:03:18 PM
So I have to say, Originally I hated the idea of snails. I always see them in massive groups in aquariums and find it looks dirty. So one day I go into Petsmart, and stumble on a black mystery snail cruising around an aquarium. Didn't remind me at all of the random blobs stuck to the glass that im used to seeing. I never knew they could move like that. The one I wanted was the largest and had the most personality, but since I was on my lunch break I decided to go back after work. When I went back the bugger was gone. so I keep looking around, and turns out he wasn't gone, just 3 tanks over. Girl told me they frequently move from tank to tank......
Sold - Now bob the snail is the most interesting things in my aquarium

I gotta say Alien has kept my interest. Thankfully she doesn't munch too much on my amazon swords, but my valisinaria is completely gone.  My assassins decimated my red ramshorn snail population (It had exploded, but I was hoping to still keep a few) so they did their job well and haven't exploded as a result. I must not have any females, I thought I did. We have one nerite snail in my boyfriend's shrimp tank who works away at the algae like a good little snail. I quite like them, and want to look at more nerite snails as they can be quite pretty.

mysterysnail

My guy loves to mess up my swords. Eats from the stock and every day theres a few less.... wouldnt mind so much if he ate from the top down, but seems so wastefull to see those full leaves floating at the top of the tank. So far hes leaving my wisterea alone. Might move him to my 10g unplanted tank

fishy friend

Had to take out all the live plants as they were being eaten from the bottom and leaving a huge mess. Other than that, I love my snails. Getting some for our new saltwater tank this weekend, its finally ready for snails 😊 and possibly more for the freshwater tanks. Love watching them on he glass.