New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

How was Larry's presentation and turnout

Started by Al, March 25, 2015, 03:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Unfortunately I had to be in Saskatoon (lucky me) Monday, Tuesday for business and couldn't get to Larry's presentation. I know Larry personally and know how devoted he is to our hobby and am ticked off I couldn't make it as I had contacted him a few weeks ago to tell him I would see him when he came.

How did the presentation go - how was the turnout from cichlid enthusiasts? I haven't seen 1 comment posted anywhere and we are now several days later - it seems a little odd that there aren't any threads following his presentation.

Any exciting news? new fish? progress on anti-netting? issues on the lake and environment?

Al

Graham

Hey Al,
I attended the first non- auction/ garage sale event since signing up with Ovas two years ago and I must say Larry's presentation was very interesting. I'm quite a cichlid enthusiast myself and enjoyed the virtual tour Larry gave us of Lake Malawi. From his perspective it seems that the numbers in fish in Lake Malawi are bouncing back due to the ani-netting efforts being enforced which is a beautiful thing to see. One interesting tidbit of info he told us was that the anti mosquito nets do not get used for their intended purpose, and are used to pull out every single fish the malawians can get their hands on which is quite upsetting. There was a portion of the presentation where Larry showed us a video of juvenile saulosi being released back into the lake which was great to see as the numbers of this fish is always a topic of concern. Lots of great F1 stock went up for auction and I think a lot of people got some amazing deals. I myself am more of a Tanganyika fan but it was a fantastic presentation none the less! I would love to go on a dive similar to Larrys.

Al

Great news, glad the presentation was good and wish I would have been available. I'm not much of a Malawi guy either but his comments probably represent similar situations on the continent unfortunately. Between wars and people fighting to stay alive and fight poverty and hunger, it's a tough scene and takes a certain amount of courage to devote support over there like Larry has for many years.

Mike L

I was glad I went, It put into perspective how the fish live. In fact the lake looked pretty much like any lake in Canada. As Graham said the release video was great to see and nice to know that conservation efforts are working. When it gets right down to in these fish are found nowhere else in the world. Makes any effort to breed fish all the more special.
Mike

bitterman

I really enjoyed the talk. Now I want one from Lake Tanganyika!!!!!!

Bruce

zenins

Quote from: Mike L on March 26, 2015, 06:18:12 PM
In fact the lake looked pretty much like any lake in Canada.

Except lakes in Canada are not near the equator so they have a much lower temperature for most of the year ;)

Larry always has great photos :) and videos now too
Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards