New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Gypsum as source of Calcium

Started by wolfiewill, April 06, 2015, 08:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfiewill

Does anyone use gypsum or calcium sulphate or CaSO4.2H2O as a source of calcium in their planted tanks? And if so, did you get it locally?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

charlie

I never did , but know a few here who have, fischkopp & Jetstream can be of help here.

lucius

I've been using cuttle bone from PetSmart.

exv152

I was just at a beer brewing store earlier today and noticed they carry CaSO4, never tried it myself, but I have tried Ca(NO3)2, or calcium nitrate.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

wolfiewill

Quote from: exv152 on April 06, 2015, 10:42:47 PM
I was just at a beer brewing store earlier today and noticed they carry CaSO4, never tried it myself, but I have tried Ca(NO3)2, or calcium nitrate.

You've tried it, and don't use it now? Why?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

exv152

Quote from: wolfiewill on April 06, 2015, 11:16:02 PM
You've tried it, and don't use it now? Why?

I don't use Ca(NO3)2 anymore because it adds nitrates which I don't need. Also, our tap water provides 8ppm alone of Ca, and if you use equilibrium on top of that, like I do, it also contains about 8% Ca based on seachem's analysis. So Ca deficiency is very unlikely. Unless you're using strictly RO/DI only for your water changes, I really don't see the need.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g