New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

120gal tank stand build

Started by Luke_L, April 14, 2015, 01:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke_L

So I have a 120g and a 35g sump reef tank to set back up having recently moved back from out west.  My question is how robust does my stand have to be, my problem is I am a welder and mechanic and have a tendency to over kill my stands.  I was originally thinking a metal frame and wood covering, but I just am very curious as to what people have done.  I am start over and going to make this tank automated and the whole 9 yards so I'm trying to have a stand not too big bit sufficient for all controls wiring pumps etc.  I want it viewable on 3 sides with a narrow side drilled for my overflow.to my sump.  Any suggestions will be awesome.

bitterman

Go take a look at a stand for a 125 at a LFS. since you're a welder you could take the tube size and thickness and make a copy using similar design and dimensions.

Once created covering with wood is easy. You could make nice raised or flat panels that are removable if needed to give you access.

Another option to hide your plumbing might be to have a tank that is drilled in the bottom. There are some builds here on the site that show how they hide things using Rockwork. This thread comes to mind

http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=38958.0

Bruce

exv152

I was on another forum recently and was real impressed with the custom stand this ex-reefer turned planted tank guy had someone make for him. The stand is viewable from three sides, the tank is meant to be a room divider. But because of all the doors added to it, it can be accessed from just about any angle. Any plumbing can be hidden on the wall side of the tank. If you have the skills, you can design and make one of these yourself, all you need are the materials, a table saw, maybe a mitre saw, some screws, some glue and some clamps. I was just in a LFS and inquired about buying a monarch stand for my 125g. I was quoted $399+ tax. You can probably build one for half that price, in wood.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?p=7658930&highlight=#
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Luke_L

Perfect thanks for the help guys!  There is a huge amount of useful information on here.  On question I do have is my 120g is tempered glass bottom.  I'm assuming that can't be drilled eh? I would love to have the piping drop straight through the bottom.

bitterman

Quote from: Luke_L on April 17, 2015, 08:36:17 AM
Perfect thanks for the help guys!  There is a huge amount of useful information on here.  On question I do have is my 120g is tempered glass bottom.  I'm assuming that can't be drilled eh? I would love to have the piping drop straight through the bottom.

If you are in question not worth exploding the bottom of the tank to find out. Many tanks are tempered on the bottom... so very possible. If you were ordering a new tank... you could use your existing tank as a sump ;) and buy a new tank with low iron glass.

Bruce

Luke_L

I was just at Big als today pricing out a 120Gal with two holes drilled in the bottom for plumbing 700$  not a terrible price, but I am not 100% sure I will go that route or just live with the tank I have and trill out one of the short sides for it to be viewed on 3 sides.

bitterman

Quote from: Luke_L on April 20, 2015, 05:52:56 PM
I was just at Big als today pricing out a 120Gal with two holes drilled in the bottom for plumbing 700$  not a terrible price, but I am not 100% sure I will go that route or just live with the tank I have and trill out one of the short sides for it to be viewed on 3 sides.

If you drill in one end 2 holes, then make the stand a bit longer than the tank, you can hide the plumbing easily. Make sure you have all our plumbing etc before you make the stand though to ensure everything fits int he right spot.

Bruce