New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

eheim filter

Started by Mike L, April 15, 2015, 11:29:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike L

Did a clean of my 2215 couple of days ago and now I am getting a hum that I never had. I took it apart to confirm all is good and reassembled and it improved somewhat but still noisier then my other eheims. I googled and this is a problem with many possible solutions and I've tried a few with no success.

One I'm not sure about is to lube the impeller shaft and magnet with Vaseline but I'm concerned about it leaching into the tank. The other solution is to put a new assembly in the filter. Just seems odd that it  went from fine to noisy. Any ideas please.
Mike

lucius

Maybe try an impeller shaft and magnet from one of your other filters.

Brine

Plumber's Silicone works fine as a lubricant. I used it on my filters.

wolfiewill

I asked Eheim about this some time ago. They admit it's a problem with their impeller shaft core material and suggest replacing the impeller. I have posted their response on this forum before, but am out of town at the moment, and cannot access the email response. Perhaps someone can bring up my earlier post. They sent pictures which matched my issue. I purchased a replacement from Pets and Ponds and it fixed the problem instantly.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

exv152

Quote from: wolfiewill on April 15, 2015, 09:56:00 PMI asked Eheim about this some time ago. They admit it's a problem with their impeller shaft core material and suggest replacing the impeller. I have posted their response on this forum before, but am out of town at the moment, and cannot access the email response. Perhaps someone can bring up my earlier post. They sent pictures which matched my issue. I purchased a replacement from Pets and Ponds and it fixed the problem instantly.

I think this is the thread you're talking about. http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=58464.msg328084#msg328084
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Mike L

Picked up a new impeller yesterday. When I went to install it while moving the filter around I heard some bubbles escaping. I kept rocking the filter until they where gone and it became silent for about an hour.. Long story short the filter was sucking air from somewhere. Took apart cleaned, tightened all connections, made sure to wet o-ring and voila working great. I'm keeping the impeller anyway. It's for a 2217 but also works on my 2215. Thanks for the help from all.
Mike